"I C" mark on 18th century moulding planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumberpete

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just picked up a Sam Green hollow moulding plane from a bric-a-brac shop in Frome, Somerset which I'm very pleased with as it has what is thought to be Sam Green's first maker's mark which are quite hard to come by.

Not only has it got Sam Green's mark but it also has "I C" stamped into it as well as an owner's mark - "T. Swayne". The photo below shows both the "I C" and Sam Green's mark;

Sam Green maker's mark.JPG

The "I C" mark has been found on various 18th Century moulding planes from all over England and possibly Scotland and, as far as I can tell, this one hasn't travelled far - Sam Green was a Bristol maker and Frome is roughly 25 miles away. This leads me to believe that "I C" is not an owners mark but something else. I have read somewhere (possibly on this site) that "I C" could be the initials for Jesus Christ as "J"s were usually written as "I"s during that period. This could have been done to give your tools good luck as people were very religious at this time and just an inscription could possibly ward off potential thieves. Bearing this last possibility in mind, "I C" could also be read as "I see" - in other words "keep you mitts off, I know what you're up to!" :)

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Sam Green maker's mark.JPG
    Sam Green maker's mark.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,365
One factor that might have a bearing is that back in the 18th century, literacy rates were quite low. Simple marks like 'I C' which could be recognised even by the illiterate would have been of more use than complex words.

Cheshirechappie":3dfph555 said:
One factor that might have a bearing is that back in the 18th century, literacy rates were quite low. Simple marks like 'I C' which could be recognised even by the illiterate would have been of more use than complex words.

That's a very good point, Cheshirechappie. And a very quick google search shows that Iesus Christus is Latin for Jesus Christ and was often abbreviated to "I C" on religious paintings. Something even the most illiterate would be familiar with.

Does anyone else have any 18th century planes with the "I C" mark? If so can you please post images on this thread with a bit on the maker (if known) and where purchased. This would help paint a more informed picture of the possible theories.

I know most planes with this mark are stamped, but some I've seen have what looks like this being branded onto the plane in much larger letters.

Hi Pete.
I think it may have been me that posted something about this before as it is something that has been puzzling me for a long time. I may have previously mentioned the theory to you of it being an abbreviation of Jesus Christ, but I must admit I was half joking at the time :lol:. Having said that now I have read the comments here I am starting to wonder if it may be the answer. For a long while now I have been spotting this mark crop up on early planes. generally from the London area, and I had started to formulate an idea that they may have been from a large early joiners workshop with the mark referring to the firm as apposed to individual owners, but the more planes crop up this looks less lightly. I recently picked up a long rebate plane of continental appearance which has the "IC" mark and is also dated 1768. Planes in my own collection which are marked include a Nathaniel Gamble a Robert Higgs ( this is the earlier Higgs who was John Davenports 4th apprentice 1730-1749), George Carpenter, and an unrecorded earl smoother. The brand also appears on the side of a fielding plane by John Jennion on page2 of the 3rd addition of British plane makers. There is also a moulding plane by William Cogdell on page 48 of early plane makers of London by Don and Ann wing. As a coincidence this also has the initials "wc" on the toe .This is another mark that I have observed that crops up regularly on early planes.
Love the Sam Green mark. Not jealous at all :!:

Thanks for the information and photos Richard, it's interesting to see that 3 of the planes, one of yours and those in BPM3 and Early Planemakers of London use the same font, whereas my Sam Green and the other one of yours are entirely different. If it was the same owner or company of joiners I would expect to see a more uniform use of font/size.

The plot thickens....

As I've come to understand it during the late medieval times reknowned makers stamped or carved their products with a latin phrase which when translated meant "by the grace of Jesus Christ our Lord, so and so, planemaker, toolmaker etc" and that over the centuries it just became the fashion to stamp IC and makers name as an abreviated version.
Could be wrong, but thats, what I seem to recall

Droogs":1ui84t5x said:
As I've come to understand it during the late medieval times reknowned makers stamped or carved their products with a latin phrase which when translated meant "by the grace of Jesus Christ our Lord, so and so, planemaker, toolmaker etc" and that over the centuries it just became the fashion to stamp IC and makers name as an abreviated version.
Could be wrong, but thats, what I seem to recall

Hi Droogs,

That is fascinating! If only you could remember where you found that information! I'll have a dig and see what I can come up with....

Thanks.

I know almost nothing about this stuff, but I do know that in the midle ages, art was rarely signed. Sometimes though you do see on church carvings a sentence like "Cornelis mefecit". Which means "Cornelis, I made this". Often Cornelis wasn't the craftsman, it was the guy who paid for it and wanted his name remembered for such a holy deed. So I think using the name of Jesus Christ would be a later development.

Back