Best bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arutha

Established Member
Reaction score
I just read a review where they compared a number of 14" bandsaws in a US magazine ("Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuildings 2015 Tool Guide").

I was got interested in the article when I saw that the Hammer N3800 bandsaw was included in the test.

However, this bandsaw (that I have been thinking of buying), didn't get a good grade.

The downsides of this bandsaw are (according to the article):
1. Dust collection - low port (instead of under the table) makes it miss too much dust.
2. No quick release tension lever (for speeding up blade changes)
3. Poor guide post alignment.

The last point is what makes me think of finding another saw. I've owned two bandsaws so far, and both of them have been really fiddly to adjust (after blade changes, or when the screws work loose). I've needed allen keys for adjusting the blade guides on both saws. On my current saw, the lower blade guides are very hard to reach under the table. So I'm really tired of bad design and bad blade guides.

New bandsaws seem to need no tools to adjust blade guides. And I want to find the best one.. :)

The top bandsaws in the test were:
Powermatic PM1500 "Best overall"
"Street price: $2,900
This is a great saw all around. All of the important adjustments are made without tools, and the guides can be set accurately with ease. Tracking the blade is simple, too, due to the window in the upper housing and yellow tires on the wheels. The 3-hp motor easily handled the resaw test—better than all of the other saws."

Laguna 14/Twelve "Best overall" "Best value"
"Street price: $1,097
The Laguna is full of smart features. No tools are needed to install a blade and adjust the guides. It has the largest throat of the saws tested, making blade changes much easier, and the aluminum throat plate has leveling screws. The guides are ceramic, a welcome feature on a saw in this price range. The motor is wired for 110 volts, a plus for those without access to a 220-volt circuit."

Looking at this, the Laguna would be the right choice for me.

However, the problem when reading American magazines is that many of the tested machines are not available in Europe. Jet, Grizzly and Powermatic are very popular in the US, but I never see them here.

So. What would you recommend?

Is the Laguna available here (maybe with a different name)?

I need a 14" bandsaw (max 2 m high, as the ceiling is low in my shop).
A large table, and good resaw capabilities.
Easily adjusted blade guides.
Easy to change blades.

I mostly rip or resaw, and sometimes cut curves with my saw. Curve cutting is the lowest priority for me.

A lot of us seem to favour the Record BS400. there are plenty of reviews on this forum

As far as adjusting things goes I've found how easy the job is, is often dependent on the tools you use. I'm a great fan of the long and extra long Bondhus hex keys. I bought long 4mm and 5mm hex keys for adjusting the guides on my bandsaw and it's very much easier with the right tool. Here's a picture of my mill showing the standard key which is almost impossible to use for adjusting the stops together with the long key which makes things very easy. Ball end drivers also help.

IMGP1763_zps3f3a3b49.jpg

I have just ordered the bs 400 by record as it it highly recommended and i like the spec. sheppach was on my shortlist too. cant be a lot of help as the saw has not arrived yet but there are lots of reviews on here.

hope you find what you want :)

Thanks for all replies!

I was first thinking of the Scheppach Basato 4 that seem to be popular. However, some people don't like it (isn't it always like that?).
I've also considered the Hammer N4400, and now the N3800 that is quite new.

But I'll have a look at the Record. All reviews seem to be very positive!

Back