Veritas planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took a look, very good deal on those looking for veritas! Thanks for posting

If you want an even better deal, the Germans are still on top

Veritas number 4

£200 from Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-no-4 ... ing-planes

£172 from Dieter https://www.fine-tools.com/eputz4.html

Its amazing to me that the price difference is still there even after very deep discounts from Axminster. I would love to support British businesses but when the products are identical branded items, the price difference is too tempting.

No affiliation to German tool companies, Veritas, MI6, the Illuminati etc etc etc

I bet their sales must have plummeted since people got wise to the much better deals to be had elsewhere due to the current Euro exchange rate.

Biliphuster":3hs5i1jx said:
If you want an even better deal, the Germans are still on top
Veritas number 4
£200 from Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-no-4 ... ing-planes
£172 from Dieter https://www.fine-tools.com/eputz4.html
Its amazing to me that the price difference is still there even after very deep discounts from Axminster.
You need to look more carefully at what's actually on offer. The Axminster deal is for the No4 is with a V-11 blade at £114.95 delivered.

Your German dealer works out at;
Assuming a 0% foreign transaction fee, for a purchase via a VISA card today's exchange rate is 1.38 € > GBP
So would cost £210.96 delivered to the UK.
http://www.visaeurope.com/making-paymen ... ange-rates

Hello,

When I looked yesterday, the PMVi11 version was out of stock and I don't remember it being £114. It is easy to price OOS items at a bargain basement price! They all seem OOS now anyway and I wonder if they will ever be replenished at any cost. I suspect they are being cleared to make way for the new custom bench planes.

Mike.

Agreed Rhossydd!

I visited the site again this morning as I was going to post a link on FB and things had already changed from yesterday. The #4 with V-11 is indeed £114. I called and placed an order as both the 01 and A2 options are £200ish. I asked "is it the price on the screen" and indeed it was, just have to wait for one to arrive. I took a screen capture of the page showing all the details as the deal seems incredible.

The 5 1/4 was more clearly on offer last night and is now not showing so clearly. If you click on the item the 01 ans V-11 are for a reduced rate but the A2 is at it's original price.

Its still listed at £114 on my computer - methinks someone made a boo-boo at axminster on that price and at xmas time I had a similar price issue...

Strangely a Clifton #3 is cheaper at Workshop Heaven than at Schimds - right now.

If it is correct you are able to purchase a smoothing plane, jack plane, fore/try plane for potentially an overall saving of nearly £400.00! At full price they would be just shy of £1000!

It'll be interesting if anyone has gone for theses how it works out. If anyone has keep us posted!

I am looking at getting a Veritas Skew Block Plane, from Axminster it is currently £244.96 from Dieter it is 209 Euro which works out at about £170 including shipping from Germany. Hmmm! Which should I get?

I think we are regularly being had over, in the US it is only $215 and only $222 with the PM-VII blade.

terrymck":61ywpnw0 said:
Most of them are sold out now.
No, they're listed as 'out of stock'. An important difference as they're still taking orders that will be fulfilled when they have stock back in.

I'm happy to wait a few weeks for delivery at such a bargain price. It's tool that I hope I'll be using for the rest of my life and pass on in my will, there's no rush to get my hands on it.

Hello,

The 4 smoother with pmv11 is not listed at all now! It was likely a mistake at 114 pounds, it should have said 214. Maybe they'll honour the orders so far :lol:

Mike.

If they've taken payment and shipped then some have been lucky - they wouldn't honour a website price on a tool at xmas the miserable plods...

Brimarc/axminster website lists the PMV at 214.96 which is £100 off the other #4's prices. So something isn't quite right.

Brimarc #4

Well if it's a genuine mistake you can hardly blame them for not honouring the sales. I suspect at that price they would be losing money on it. I'd rather they became a bit more competitive on a lot of their other stuff (they were at one time).
Axminster is fast becoming the last place I look if I'm interested in a tool or other woodworking product type.

FWIW I spoke to them on Saturday and said to the person on the end of the line words to the effect of "are you sure that is correct, it seems there has been an error" I was told it was correct. I also asked that it was now out of stock and if I were to buy one would I still benefit from the £114 price. "yes" was the response. I called back later to ask the same questions with the same response.

I had another item shipped out today and the email notice said Veritas plane to follow. I called and confirmed again that even though it is to follow it would be for the £114. Yes was the response.

Let's see what happens.

MIGNAL":19675gcn said:
Well if it's a genuine mistake you can hardly blame them for not honouring the sales.
It's no mistake. They sent emails out with the offer of £100 off some Veritas bench planes. This wasn't some error when inputting prices into a big web site.
One also needs to consider that even with £100 off their prices it's only less than £79 off their nearest UK competitor (£65 after VAT is taken out of the figures). As they're the UK distributor they ought to be able to cut prices harder than anyone else too.

It's still a bargain for the buyer, but I doubt Axminster will be loosing much, if anything on the sales. It's probably been an exercise in shifting an over stocked, slow selling item, likely before they take on stocking the new custom to order models.
Plus many of us probably added an extra item or two to their order. They'll be making full margin on those items to offset the lack of margin on the plane.

No excuses really for not fulfilling all the orders placed before they pulled the offer. Very poor PR if they do.

Back