Wood I D

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this wood :D
It was given to me along with some Laburnum logs which at first glance do look similar,end grain on,but when i started cutting it up i could see the difference in the two species.there is a very sticky sap coming out of it which you can see near the bark and sapwood.
The log is about 8" dia.
I thought it might have been Acacia but that looks more brown in colour from what i have seen,this is a definate green colour,unless it darkens with age??
TIA :D

wood ID 1.jpg

wood ID2.jpg

Attachments

• wood ID 1.jpg
    wood ID 1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,380
  • wood ID2.jpg
    wood ID2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,380
i dont know the answer, but I believe that acacia does darken with age.

Two possibilities if it's neither laburnum or acacia are Japanese Pagoda tree (most likely IMHO) or Mulberry.

Saphora Japonica is sometimes grown ornamentally and has a similar colouring to what you have there.

Mulberry is noticeably more yellow and softer.
HTH
Jon

Thanks for the replies folks :D
Looks more like the Sumac that Chas has linked to.
Is that Sumac in your log pile Chas,looks like it will turn brown?

Paul.J":14v2njqp said:
Yes Paul, that's all Sumac The reddish-brown tinge is down to the wax on the ends.
Turns up with a range of colours from yellow through brown to reds, some from the same pile can be Seen here (click on images for larger version)

CHJ":24c1imwv said:
Paul.J":24c1imwv said:
Yes Paul, that's all Sumac The reddish-brown tinge is down to the wax on the ends.
Turns up with a range of colours from yellow through brown to reds, some from the same pile can be Seen here (click on images for larger version)
Cheers Chas.
Does it usually stay the colour you get or will it eventually turn brown?

No noticeable change with pieces I have here Paul, usually finishes with a silk like reflection to the surface that projects differing spectrum colours when turned against the light.

Back