which bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james gubb

Reaction score
hi guys im looking to get a new bandsaw and have got about £1500 as a budget whats everybodys thoughts please
??? cheers in advance

To answer that question we need to know how much space you have and what you are going to use it for and if the floor is reasonably strong?

-For that amount of money or less you could get a secondhand Robinson or Sagar or any other top end brand built to last 200 years of heavy industrial use. Those are way better than any newer machine you could buy for that amount of money but the require a certain amount of space and setting up a secondhand machine always takes a bit of time. However theese old machines give you by far the best value for money spent.
-If you have a cramped workshop and are forced to look for a smaller saw then I don't know what the secondhand market looks like over there. I would look for secondhand anyway because that gives you the best saw for any given amount of money. A heavy cast iron frame is stiffer and better than a lightweight welded steel or aluminium frame.
-If you lack the time to set up a secondhand machine you are forced to buy new. Again you get less saw for the money but it is a fact of life that you always must adapt to the realities.

There is nothing such as a one size fits all in woodworking as you see.

Another consideration is what power supply you have/can get. If you are limited to 13amp then the BS400 is about as big as you can get. If you have 16 amp the choices are greater. If you have 415 then the second hand market offers great choices.

I have a 352, it's great. Cuts right up to the limit of it's stated capacity which is not the same with all saws.

hi guys thanks for the replys I will be mainly using the saw for tennons for doors and windows etc and curved work for furniture making im on 240v power and on a concrete base with a reasonable amount of room the saw wont be used for ripping back stock so I don't need a huge powerful machine now whats your thoughts ? ive been looking at the axminster industrial range , the jet machines and the hammer bansaws whats your thoughts now ? cheers

Have you considered a Multico Tenoner? They sell for around the £1,200 mark, take up about the same floor space as a bandsaw and are simply brilliant for producing tennons, offset tennons, scribed tennons, double tennons etc etc, accurately and repeatable. For the money you are suggesting you should be able to get a very clean well setup machine with modern blocks that will take profile cutters as well as disposable rebate blades this makes Producing doors and windows easy.

A slightly larger option is a Secgwick tennoner, the preference is one with three heads. Most feel that the main advantages over the multico are
1. The moving table is larger with simpler clamping for more industrial use. The fence also can be canted to produced angled tennons easily.
2. The multico has each cutter block independently adjusted, the Sedgwick you set the thickness of the tennon with and then adjust both blocks to place the tennon where you want it.
3. The sedgwick takes 60mm thick blocks where as the Multico are 50mm. The third block is extremely useful.
4. The Sedgwick (later machines) have compliant guarding the Mutico's needs a little adapting.

I have a Multico machine.

That sounds like woodworking is at least a part time job for you?
For that kind of work I would definitely look for a secondhand saw with a cast iron frame. Preferably a belt driven one so you can shift out the motor. It should be easier to saw tennons accurately with a fairly wide blade in a fairly rigid saw and wide blades also require big wheels if they are going to last.

DennisCA on this forum recently bought a 24" Swedish made all cast iron bandsaw for 200 euros plus maybe another 200 in repairs. Now there is a very fine Aldiger bandsaw in roughly the same size for sale for 800 euros locally. You should be able to find something like that in your country too..... but I cannot tell you what you need. The only person who knows your needs is yourself.

Unless you have a good reason for spending more the BS400 is a good solid machine that will do all you want

A bandsaw is a great addition to any workshop and the bigger and more solid the better within the confines of space and budget. We had three Startrite machines of various vintage where I used to work and they were all good.

It's nice to buy a shiny new machine but you can get some great used stuff out there if you know what to look for.
Good luck with whatever you decide to get and let's see some pictures once it's in your workshop.

Few thoughts.

New machines are usually delivered quickly and free. Second-hand machines need transport by van to be arranged, fuel isn't cheap and it will probably need two blokes to cope. Whatever you buy you'll need new, better blades unless you're very lucky.

From the stories I've read on forums second-hand machines can sometimes be a nightmare to overhaul unless it's fairly current model and parts are easily sourced. Also you need the aptitude and time to do so. Having been bitten in the past I wouldn't now buy any machine second-hand unless I knew its history and it came with a worthwhile guarantee.

On the other hand if you're buying a used machine you may be able to see it in use before you buy it. If someone's still using the machine and they're willing to let you view it then chances are it's In good working order. When you buy a new machine it's likely delivered in many pieces they may never actually have been assembled into a complete machine. We've heard horror stories on here before and it's not always the cheap makes that are effected.

Back