Handmade kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahomo59

Established Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned I have larger shop now and can swing 8x4 around now problem and store them. I normally get all sheets goods cut down for me to required size ready for assemble.

My next job is a hand made kitchen build to a similar spec that the customer has seen. Birchply, popular face frame and shaker doors on butt hinges. I'm going to experiment this time around and break the the sheets down myself. I have 2700 rail (plenty long enough for 8x4) and mft3 table, recently bought Seneca guide rail system on t track plus seems very easy to use. Kitchen has a 5m and 3m straight runs, so I figured one day and I should have everything broken down.
I have a question, I was going to lip with .6 iron on lipping for the shelves. I'd rather use a solid timber lipping, any suggestions for this ?
I'll do a WIP showing it being made etc. I will be hand painting/spraying myself. Stone Worktops. Really keen to get going.

You can buy 2 x 25 mm solid timber edging rolls - it's meant to be used with a glue pot edge bander but sticks just fine with PVA and masking tape.

Might be a nice compromise between edge tape and a proper timber lipping.

But, to be honest - if you're using good quality ply for the shelves i'd just leave them, but I do like a more modern, sharp look.

I normally make the edging for my shelves. I usually cut it at 8mm x 20mm then glue and clamp. I then use a bearing guided trimmer on the router table to trim back the excess. I have found this more durable than iron-on.

Cheer guys, just getting round to cutting everything now and will lipping end of the week. What timber do you use for your lipping.

Most of my furniture is made with veneered MDF. I therefore use wood which matches the veneer timber. If you want to use plywood choose a hardwood which is a similar colour. Steamed beech would be a good choice as it is pretty durable and will take plenty of knocks.

Thank you gentlemen... due to not having P/T (have dewalt thicknesser,don't use it much) i've ordered Ash to go along with my tulip wood from timberscut4you.
Failed to get cutting list into Avonplywood where i normally go, so bought 8X4 sheets of birchply and have had great success breaking down the material with my Seneca parallel guides on the 2700 festool rail and the mft/3. Enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would! LR32 action tomorrow :)

Back