transitonal planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi lads i have come across a marples transitional i got a few years ago and forgot all about it well i got it out sharpend her up and wow . she is a marples jack plane in fine condition and such a tight mouth when i got it set up today i kiccked myself for not getting it out before now .the best of both worlds bailey frog /blade cap iron in great nick and a fine wooden body i got some scraps and planed and played happy for a couple of hours .
oh the simple things in life.

for the first decade or so of my working as a house carpenter the planes I had and used were a transitional jack and a low angle block. those two cover an awful lot of ground.

I expect the price of those shortlived Marples wooden planes with Bailey style adjusters will now go sky high. Paul Sellers was praising them recently on his blog.

AndyT":x4lcudgb said:
I expect the price of those shortlived Marples wooden planes with Bailey style adjusters will now go sky high. Paul Sellers was praising them recently on his blog.

One can't account for fashion!

BugBear

They are like an infill in reverse. :? I've tried most types of Planes but the transitional isn't one of them. Of course they should work well enough, I fail to see why not. I suppose it's like a Bailey with a sole that goes out of shape more frequently but that sole can be flattened in less than 2 minutes. Swings and roundabouts. I prefer the look of the Marples over the US Stanley transitional Planes.
If the prices do go sky high, someone somewhere is going to start making them again. Don't throw away those donor frogs!

:D In that case I have tried a transitional, I once owned an ECE Primus! Lovely Plane but I disliked that tensioning mechanism. Made swapping out the blade tiresome. In that sense it's hard to beat a simple wedge or lever cap.

Back