Aerosol Gloss Lacquer choices?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_87

Established Member
Reaction score
It may depend a little on the application, but if it were me, I would buy the nitrocellulose - it's harder wearing than acrylic and requires thinner coats for the same level of protection, and you can get an excellent finish with it, right up to buffing it to a mirror finish in a shorter period of time. The acrylic would do the same, to a point, but while it says "quick drying" what it means in reality is "touch dry" - as the acrylic will take several days to naturally fully cure all the way through, which may mean the item can't be handled properly, while the nitro is touch dry in 20 mins or so and fully cured after only a couple of hours (by fully cured I mean no longer flashing off any solvents) because the solvents used are so volatile. The acrylic paints now used in the automotive industry are of a similar formula, but are baked on to speed up the curing. Acrylic lacquers can still yellow depending on the quality, whereas nitro based finishes are non yellowing afaik.

I would also mention for nitro you should use at the very least a P2 grade filter and preferably a P3 to make sure.

Hth

Stupid question time:

This spray lacquer you speak of. Is it the same as the car paint spray lacquer that's available in Halfords? (Other car accessory shops are available)

Penny":1de5d30y said:
Stupid question time:

This spray lacquer you speak of. Is it the same as the car paint spray lacquer that's available in Halfords? (Other car accessory shops are available)

To be honest I don't know; it could be, or there could be subtle differences like amount of solvent, more UV inhibitors and other things that may be preferable when using it on wood as opposed to plastic or metal.

A google should reveal all that - I'll bet someone has done a personal test to see, I find someone has usually done whatever comparison you can think of.

I use 2K lacquer regularly on my projects, it works great.
For rattle can use try Upol Clear #1, a bit dear but good results.
Lesonal do an excellent one in a rattle can, but it's rated as a 2K product.
Some of mine in 2K Max Meyer HS clear.

Latest posts

Back