Just hand tools ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've not logged in for a while as I've been without a workshop for quite some time so today I've decided to invade my dads. I have my hand tools stored there and and some power tools but none of my machines. So thought I'd try making something using just hand tools.

Does anyone here use traditional saws and hand planes to dimension stock timber, or hand cut all their joints ?
I guess I'll kind out how good my skills are or aren't .

Hi, I do most of my work by hand as I don't possess any machines! If you're looking for inspiration watch the videos and read the blogs of The English Woodworker (Richard Maguire) and The Unplugged Woodshop (Tom Fidgen).

Mike

I think you'll find that a fair few of us only use hand tools ;) I'll confess to having a bandsaw for ripping, but everything else I do by hand.

Shed load of power tools and heavy machinery but have to say I'm starting to enjoy using unplugged equipment more and more these days :)

I mostly work with hand tools - I don't have a planer or thicknesser. For me, with no particular time pressure, a lot of the pleasure comes from the processes of making rather than getting the finished product.
For example I am making a chest of drawers (see projects section) where every little component is planed by hand and I am enjoying getting some improvement in my planing skills.
It's all for fun though, not some dogmatic objection to power tools, and I will be making occasional use of my little Burgess bandsaw.

Mainly hand tools here too. I get more enjoyment from the 'work', I can still hear the birds singing and, as a bonus, there is a smaller area of debris to sort out. I generally choose a project because it involves an aspect of woodwork I have not come across before if possible.
Having said that if the task is more of the 'get it done' variety I have no real issues using Routers etc. if required.
xy

Definitely possible.

On the plus side, it's quieter (except for chopping mortices), you need far less space, clean-up is easy because it involves sweeping up shavings and chips rather than dust, and there's far less dust hanging in the air (and your lungs), and joint-cutting (especially for one-off projects) can actually be quicker since there's no set-up time and trial cuts - just mark, cut and fit. You can get away with very little sanding if you're adept with smoothing plane and cabinet scraper.

On the downside, if you're used to stock prep by machine, dimensioning and planing-up timber will be a bit of a shock to the system at first. A good solid bench at comfortable planing height and a pair of saw-horses at comfortable sawing height helps greatly, as do a good sharp rip-saw and a proper set of bench planes - jack (set up with wide mouth and well-cambered iron) try and smoother.

Try a small project in mild timber first to get into the swing of planing up and joint-cutting. Leave the double wardrobe in oak until you feel confident of your tools and skills.

Yes, hand working is defiantly cleaner, I'm making a trip to a supplier this week so I'll start with some easily workable timber. First job will be to hand rip and dimension, which sounds like a good excuse to get a no7 and a proper rip and cross cut saw. I think some sort of new tool box will be the first project.

I'm working on a new workbench at the mo. The ash I had for the top had cupped considerably, so rather than hand plane it I took it to a local timber supplier. He kindly put it through his big, shiny industrial planer, but invariably all that glitters isn't gold. When I got the ash back I found that the cup was gone, but one length still had a fair bit of twist in it. So this morning I've been flattening the bench top by hand!

11F44CDA-FEC5-4439-AAF7-BC19F4B02C2A-612-000000EF665738E4.jpg

Note the shavings everywhere!

Another two tips to add on what CC said; scribble a wax candle (or similar) on the sole of the plane, and sharpen often.

Get a toothed blade. It will flatten that top in no time at all. I put a video on the subject on YouTube just yesterday.

mouppe":1up757dz said:
Get a toothed blade. It will flatten that top in no time at all. I put a video on the subject on YouTube just yesterday.

Thanks for the tip, but I finished the flattening this afternoon ;)

Back