Damp proofing exterior walls.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Since fitting the new roof on my "shop", It is more pleasurable going out to work. But as is usual when you fix one thing it shows up something else.

It's been done for over a month now and I have not seen condensation or a leak since, the walls are almost completely dried out, but I have noticed after heavy rain there are little spots of damp below one of the windows.

It's not coming in through the window since it just appears out of the wall a foot or so below the window.

I was wondering if a spray on water proofer is available. I have searched of course and can find plenty for brick walls. Mine is what we call pebble dashed around here, on the out side and I haven't seen any spray recommended for that.

I Presuming you're window cill isn't cracked or damaged and the drip groove is clear and working.
Either paint the pebble dash with masonry paint, or thompsons water seal, which is clear.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... r&tbm=shop

If its a non cavity wall then allow a 9" or 10" plinth unpainted at the bottom allow the wall to breathe, or you could drive moisture up the wall inside.
Rodders

blackrodd":fncfo5vs said:
I Presuming you're window cill isn't cracked or damaged and the drip groove is clear and working.
Either paint the pebble dash with masonry paint, or thompsons water seal, which is clear.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... r&tbm=shop

If its a non cavity wall then allow a 9" or 10" plinth unpainted at the bottom allow the wall to breathe, or you could drive moisture up the wall inside.
Rodders

The sill was cracked and pitted but I filled it up and smoothed it. I like the idea of the clear stuff. There is a 12" or so undashed area at the bottom of the wall, so if I didn't seal that it would probably be ok.

Another one for Thompsons water seal. My single skinned block workshop walls leaked like a sieve before treatment and are now pretty good. Does need recoating after a few years. You say the water appears a foot below the window. This does sound like the window/wall interface leaking. The water will track down as well as in so often water shows below the points of penetration.

phil.p":1q0v9pr6 said:
Maybe not better - but possibly cheaper.

Being of Scots Irish origins, cheaper always appeals.

Can you suggest one equally as good at a better price.?

Wickes do a version. Like all things it seems to have increased in price by 150% since I last used it, however. :(

Latest posts

Back