Record 5 plane, now missing screw :(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking to get a few planes, i've just picked up my first http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141592154783? ... EBIDX%3AIT rough and ready :D

I'm looking for a block plane now but there seems to be less about and more expensive, I just cant run to 50-60 for one atm so I'm looking around the £20 mark. Which if any of the older ones should I be looking at or should I not bother and make do with my No. 4 ? Im looking at a Record 110 at the moment.

Any suggestions, thanks Jim :)

lol that was a steal for who ever bought that ! Yeah that's the sort of thing I was looking at, I need to look a little better obviously :(

I'm crying over this one, thought it would go for silly money so didn't keep my eye on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131451583207? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I love my Rider block plane think they are being discontinued but some Axminster stores still have them in stock at knock down prices. Not for everyone as they are a bit heavy.

A lot of Record / Irwin 09 1/2 going cheap on ebay at the moment think a new container has just arrived. Has anyone tried one ?

Mr_P":1ov0zynr said:
I'm crying over this one, thought it would go for silly money so didn't keep my eye on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131451583207? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I love my Rider block plane think they are being discontinued but some Axminster stores still have them in stock at knock down prices. Not for everyone as they are a bit heavy.

A lot of Record / Irwin 09 1/2 going cheap on ebay at the moment think a new container has just arrived. Has anyone tried one ?

Thanks, just looked but no riders in my local axi :/

omg what have I done :lol: now looking at more planes, is this the start of an addiction ? 51/2 plane next on the list after the block plane

:mrgreen:

I have to admit my first plane was a block plane and my least used plane for the last few years is probably that very same block plane. I would buy the other planes you need first and then see if you really need that block plane.

In terms of small planes to get into tight areas, I'd probably get a bullnose ahead of a block plane.

To be honest I'm not that sure! I think a 220 or something else that is adjustable. I am only going by what I've read on the forum as recommendations as I've never used one lol

The Stanley 110 (with a red cap iron), just like the improbable Stanley 75 (tiny bullnose rebate plane) look useless - but every now and then prove to be just the plane for the job. Not often, but don't bin them, their day will come.
Keep them sharp, tuned and polished. :shock:
Put them in their own socks even.

2015-03-16%2022.17.32.jpg

The first planes I had, and for the first probably 15 years working the only planes I had were a low angle block plane and a transitional jack. Those two covered an awful lot of ground for me as a carpenter.

Took it apart last night for a better inspection and its actually in really good condition, couple of deeper scratches in the sole that wont come out but they shouldn't be an issue. The tote is loose thou, I assume the hole it locates on has expanded. I'll clean the main body up by hand as I don't want to damage the paint which is in really good condition, the other parts are going in the electrolysis bath which I'm setting up at the moment using an old PC power supply :D

Loose tote is usually caused by the wood shrinking, file some off the rod of add washers to the top Belleville washers are good.

Pete

Racers":xoaau418 said:
Loose tote is usually caused by the wood shrinking, file some off the rod of add washers to the top Belleville washers are good.
He means "...file some off the rod or add washers to the top...". Good advice. I'd file 2-3mm off the length (maybe 1.5mm off each end) then you should be able to nip it up tight.

Potentially a very nice plane. It's pre-1960 (the best period for Records), and looks to be post-WW2. The cutting iron is a more recent replacement. The tote looks to be beech - strip the remaining varnish; sand it, oil it (BLO), then wax it (nicer to the touch than polyurathane). Is the knob a very early rosewood or a modern plastic replacement? If it's rosewood, skip the oil as it will darken it too much (might have already been done - it looks very dark).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":196ybp4k said:
Racers":196ybp4k said:
He means "...file some off the rod or add washers to the top...". Good advice. I'd file 2-3mm off the length (maybe 1.5mm off each end) then you should be able to nip it up tight.

Potentially a very nice plane. It's pre-1960 (the best period for Records), and looks to be post-WW2. The cutting iron is a more recent replacement. The tote looks to be beech - strip the remaining varnish; sand it, oil it (BLO), then wax it (nicer to the touch than polyurathane). Is the knob a very early rosewood or a modern plastic replacement? If it's rosewood, skip the oil as it will darken it too much (might have already been done - it looks very dark).

Cheers, Vann.

If the knob is rosewood I'd stain the tote, so the two handles match in colour a little better.

BugBear

Back