My Moxon vice - updated with bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
Here's my photo bucket story of making my moxon vice including commentary for those interested:

http://s982.photobucket.com/user/Rafezetter/library/Moxon Vice Bench?sort=6&page=1

Feel free to leave comments - I am going to be incorporating this into a minibench with dogholes at some point in the future so any additional advice towards this would be appreciated.

EDIT: Here is the awaited bench addition update

I recently needed to cut some box joints by hand and using my moxon vice I needed a way to rest the two adjoining bits of wood so I could mark the tails - I managed it but in a very heath robinson manner - so this was the impetus I needed to fix this problem now and forever. After a google I found pictures of a moxon vice attached to a small bench - so I've done the same, but added a tail vice (salvaged from Richard A's macmillan do and replaced the mdf faces with ash, also from the "do"). I've added dog holes, and a variation of end stops I might use - including a toothed one using an old jack saw blade.

here's a direct link for those interested:http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/...Vice Bench/Moxon vice bench 4_zpshmd7ah04.jpg

The two outer legs (it has 3) have sections of wood added so it can be clamped to the main workbench. In between two of the legs is a small pull drawer to keep the various dogs used for the bench in one place.

What did you stick the leather to the backplate with? It looks well tidy and I like how neatly it's fitted into the "v" cut.

Have you done that to a vice before and how long would you expect it to last before having to replace it? I frequently use a piece of leather to grip stainless brake pipe ends when I'm making braided lines but use a loose piece that I drop between the vice jaws. I like the idea of having it fitted permanently to my woodworking vice though.

Nice job sir.

Shug

Mrwilson":2i58rxvf said:
What did you stick the leather to the backplate with? It looks well tidy and I like how neatly it's fitted into the "v" cut.

Have you done that to a vice before and how long would you expect it to last before having to replace it? I frequently use a piece of leather to grip stainless brake pipe ends when I'm making braided lines but use a loose piece that I drop between the vice jaws. I like the idea of having it fitted permanently to my woodworking vice though.

Nice job sir.

Shug

Thanks for the comments; the glue is UHU - the all purpose yellow squeeze tube stuff from any poundshop - I thought about contact adhesive, but uhu will give me the option to replace the leather if it gets badly damaged, just heat and it will unstick. I glued it in for ease and I have enough to do so although I've seen people use it loose in a vice as you say.

I'm hoping the leather will last quite a while - I've not done it before, and I could have used a thicker grade of leather for more durability but I didn't have any to hand - but this certainly works - I can clamp a board into the vice and with the vice clamped in 4 places; lift the whole end of the workbench by the board and I can assure you the bench is heavy.

The leather is in 3 pieces, 1 join is in the centre of the v groove, overlapped, cut down the middle and the ends glued down with the same where the join is at the left bar section. I then used a brass brush on it to raise the nap.

I used it today to plane a rebate into some shallow stock with the stock held using the dogs on top and it was held with just 2 dogs no problem.

I like the idea of the very adaptable mini bench. 90% of the time your workpiece will be small enough to fit on it, and for the other 10% of the time it will be big enough to hold in some other way!

And it's always satisfying to solve these problems yourself, in a way that suits your way of working.

Back