Another Wood I.D.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraxinus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you lovely lot can help me out as its driving me nuts that my memory has failed me. I knew I should have written it down!

Firstly A little bit of background info may help. Back in January 2013 while I was at one of the Westonbirt arboretum wood sales I bought a hardwood plank of timber that measured approximately 550 x 35 x 2200mm. I paid £50 for the heavy plank, as it was still green having only been drying out under the tarpaulin. Upon hearing the name I presumed I would remember it, how wrong i was! forgive me if this sounds like nonsense, I vaguely remember it being named after a common species and preceded by asian?

I took this photo of a planed sample of the timber that had already been dried and prepared, this is what convinced me to buy a plank.The colour is as close to accurate as I can recall.

99bc291f4032f685fe62f5175d6275f3.jpg

The following three photos are colour corrected, and are taken of a small section 40 x 40 x 120mm of the plank I purchased. I do also have a picture of the bark which I will upload later on.

caab2649fef90bbe8f28b9f1439540d9.jpg

1ac3478c74a2cdef0684fc015b96e41c.jpg

3f113652bf1c59f3076126cfbbcc049f.jpg

I have even looked through the entire list of species at the arboretum hoping I would recognise it if I saw it and cross checking it on the hobbit house database.

Any clues much appreciated!

6c278b0d8ef4dffa703141246a1db05d.jpg

One thing thats putting me off it being acacia is the lack of visible pores.

Piranha pine is a possibility, this extract from hobbit house inc would explain the bright colours of the piece above. "It's well known for its red and pink streaks". But the rest of the photos look a lot lighter in colour.

As I said, I am not at all familiar with Acacia, but I have used loads of parana pine,
And I would say that certainly is not parana pine!
Rodders

Would calculating the density of it help?
But then I suppose I would need to know the moisture content too.

The first photo with it's strong reddish appearance looks a lot like Bubinga, which i've heard called african rosewood.

015.JPG

Here's a bandsaw box i made out of bubinga, the other one is American black walnut.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 52
Very similar colour to the bubinga. Difficult to tell from the small sample. I'll get the plank planed up over the next few months and post them up too.

Mrpercysnodgrass - Any particular species of willow? Because the ones I know are pale and pretty light.

Not sure which species, I only ever had one lump of it which I used to repair cricket bats for the guys in the team. The piece I had, had very similar colouring to yours but not quite so strong. Most cricket bats are very pale but the cheaper ones get a bit browner with hints of pink in them. Bounce a cricket ball on it, it has a very distinctive sound that you do not get with other timbers!!

Thanks I'll investigate the possibility of it too, along with all the others suggested. Don't have a cricket ball knocking around, a tennis ball may have to suffice.
Was really hoping that looking through the list might jog my memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back