How would you fix cock beading?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never fitted any, but would probably have gone for super glue and activator. I've just watched a video where the guy used sewing pins.
He cut off the point so that the pin cut the wood rather than forced the fibres apart (an old trick). Then he gently started the pin into the bead. When he had tapped in as many as he felt were required for that length he cut off the projecting tops of the pins leaving 2mm sticking out. He then placed the bead on the piece and gently tapped the pins through the remaining 2mm and pushed them just below the surface with the point of a nail.

12m:30s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhf9C6ASepc

What method do you use?

Thanks Peter, so the masking tape stops it from moving while the glue sets up? Aren't you a bit twitchy about one of the mitres slipping?

The masking tape will help to hold the beading, but these things can slip including the mitres so keep an eye on it. You can hammer a panel pin into the edge of the drawer and snip it of leaving .75mm high so when you cramp the lipping on it should stop it from slipping.

Cheers Peter

Masking tape, probably not all brands, does stretch slightly. This can be used to give a small clamping effect. Very useful on awkward shapes.
xy

Didn't know what cock beading was so watched the whole video, entertaining chap. Something reassuring about the Aussie accent!

When I made my tool cabinet I used cock beading on all the drawers, the cock beading was made from Indonesian Rosewood. I'm not to sure what glue I used, I think it was bog standard Titebond 1, anyway I held it in place with clamps. I made it very slightly over size and trimmed it when dryed. It's been on the drawers for about 7 years now and is as good as the day it was put on. Really lovely effect with a lighter wood.

Cockbeading a drawer without rebates?
Guards, seize this man!

Back