Thread Cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache_sim

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an outlet for the Soren Berger Thread Creator in UK, I have seen EZ Threader Pro which appears to work from the Banjo but the Berger attaches to the Tail Stock. The latter appears to be much more engineeringly sound (I know that's not a real word).

Thanks

Apache_sim":3hs5tykn said:
Does anyone know if there is an outlet for the Soren Berger Thread Creator in UK, I have seen EZ Threader Pro which appears to work from the Banjo but the Berger attaches to the Tail Stock. The latter appears to be much more engineeringly sound (I know that's not a real word).

Thanks

it doesn't even show on their own website!

BugBear

Apache_sim":54t44702 said:
I suppose that's why I can't find anything other than pictures.
Is there an alternative to the EZ Threader Pro?

Given the price, a metal lathe with a leadscrew is a cheap option!

BugBear

Apache_sim":tr0k3qta said:
yeah! Thanks for that...

isn't North Suffolk the same [as] Norfolk??

No - consider (for example) the Mid Suffolk Railway.

And there's a South Norfolk district council.

And I'm from North Suffolk, which is next to South Norfolk.

Simples!

BugBear

Never heard of the thread cutting device you mention p, but if the price is as has been suggested iit is right a very expensive option. I do most of my thread chasing by hand using Ashley Isles unichasers. I do have an EZ jig and it works very well. I admit it has some issues engineering wise, but remember that you are working with wood (presumably) and this is not an exact engineering quality material, and most threads are hand cut using little more than hand and eye coordination. The main benefit that the EZ jig gave me was the ability to cut threads in timber that was not realy well suited to cutting a thread. Hand chasing is by it's very nature a scraping cut, and a low speed one at that! The EZ jig allows the use of a high speed cutter with a corresponding increase in quality of cut. A weak thread is a weak thread. But at least the EZ will cut a thread in wood that otherwise could not have a thread chased in it well. The thread can then be "assisted " by a soaking of cyanoacrylate. If only we could obtain and afford Blackwood, lignum or box in any size we could ever want, thread chasing would be so much easier.

Honest John":21e5kk2u said:
Never heard of the thread cutting device you mention p, but if the price is as has been suggested iit is right a very expensive option. I do most of my thread chasing by hand using Ashley Isles unichasers. I do have an EZ jig and it works very well. I admit it has some issues engineering wise, but remember that you are working with wood (presumably) and this is not an exact engineering quality material, and most threads are hand cut using little more than hand and eye coordination. The main benefit that the EZ jig gave me was the ability to cut threads in timber that was not realy well suited to cutting a thread. Hand chasing is by it's very nature a scraping cut, and a low speed one at that! The EZ jig allows the use of a high speed cutter with a corresponding increase in quality of cut. A weak thread is a weak thread. But at least the EZ will cut a thread in wood that otherwise could not have a thread chased in it well. The thread can then be "assisted " by a soaking of cyanoacrylate. If only we could obtain and afford Blackwood, lignum or box in any size we could ever want, thread chasing would be so much easier.

Heh. It's almost a re-invention of the (very) old moving-mandrel design that metal work lathes
used before the leadscrew/cross slide was invented!

BugBear

The Soren Berger kit looks like it would be great for small/medium production use, but for a just a few items you could probably build a jig utilising a cross slide vice assembly for not a huge amount of cash.

Back