formica on ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
I know this is pretty basic but it's new for me:

Large (8' x 3' ish) 3/4" ply table top with formica stuck on. Wipe on glue, press formica down well, trim edges. Is there anything special I need to know or do, to stop it going sh|t shaped?

I remember my older brother gluing Formica to ply, it was years ago, he used Evo-stick contact adhesive applying pressure with a roller, working from the centre to the outside.

HTH

Baldhead

Also lay some clean battens every 6 inches so you can line the laminate up to the ply. pull the centre batten out and roll it. keep pulling the battens out as you go.

Ripples in cheep ply and uneven glue spreading will show through the laminate especially with plain colours or shiny finishes.

On ply it might not warp badly but it in my experience will react will generally react the same way as cheap worktops that have no balance paper on the underside.

Chrispy":2a5iogly said:
Best to do both sides as well.
I take the point (differential movement) but I've looked under a good number of formica tables and non of them were done on both sides.
Phill joiner":2a5iogly said:
Also lay some clean battens every 6 inches so you can line the laminate up to the ply. pull the centre batten out and roll it. keep pulling the battens out as you go.
Sounds a good idea. I'd thought of boxing in the ply with some battens of some sort so that the Formica couldn't go in other than straight.

I take the point about cheap ply too. This'll be best birch-through Finnish. I'm wondering about a plain exposed ply edge - it looks neat when it's new at least.

There are adhesives made to be used for this particular situation.
We used to cut and sell this stuff.
Thixofix was the best When perstorp and formica were used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-500 ... 3641.l6390
If it's the same it does not "grab" as most do so you can move it a little.
You can file or plane the edges, as well as trim wiv the router.
HTH Regards Rodders
PS, Do remember you can get very high on this stuff and it will spoil any close food etc!

I´v done loads of this on fishing boats and yachts only ever done one side had no problems with it.if you`ve got aprons on the table that should hold the ply flat. This how I would do it first of you need space, lay the formica face up on a flat solid surface, place the finished ply on top of the formica draw with a pencil around the ply onto the formica giving your self a couple of mili around the ply. Cut the formica with a formica cutter and a straightedge the cutter looks like a bent nail with a carbide tip on it
Now mark the ply and formica with reference marks IE left, right,top. bottom any mark you think you need on them so they go back in the same position.clean both faces of the ply and formica where they will come into contact one small spec will cause the formica to crack on its face.

I use contact adhesive spread it on both surfaces and wait till it is almost dry then look closely at it some times you get little bubbles in the glue take the spatchelar and scratch both surfaces all over don't leave one bubble it will cause the formica to crack.
As already said place stickers on the ply and then place the formica on top watching your marks all the time. position the formica so you will have the one or two mili cover all round. I use a cork block and start in the middle pressing down and away from me and then to me move just a bit in one direction pressing down awy and to me all the time what your looking for is to avoid trapping air between the two surfaces if you do trap air or you think the two are not sticking right in one place get a small piece of wood about 12" long place it on the spot and give it a health wack with a hammer and the shock will usually stick them to gether.

Trim the formica with a block plane working in from the corners never out if you do you will chip the corners right off.
When you do the edge leave the formica just proud top and bottob and clean up with a block plane and a fine file.

just take your time dont get rushed and think it out its very easy really. have fun.

Thanks for that. Sounds spot on. But don't the stickers/battens get stuck, or is the glue wet enough to let them slide out?

No they don't stick it is contact adhesive you need two parts that have been treated before they will stick together that is why you spread it on the formica and the ply.the stickers just slide out no bind at all.as said when the two parts come together that's it you will not be able to adjust them.

To work correctly the adhesive must be almost dry or just dry and not wet.That's impotent because if too wet they don't stick correctly and then you have a problem.

I have seen strips of cardboard used instead of sticks.

Pete

Jacob your going to do a big piece and the formica comes in 10` long sheets so cut yourself a small test piece say 12" square spread the glue thin on both pieces and see how it goes.

OK will do. Thanks for the info, very useful.

Latest posts

Back