Home made dust extraction?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
This is two questions really. Come about after watching some youtube videos.

Firstly. Have any of you made your own cyclonic dust separator? If so, how well has it worked and where did you find the best information on this.

Secondly, the suction. I have an impelar fan that was removed from an industrial blown air heating system. Although a little noisy I think it would still be quieter than the likes of a vacuum cleaner. Again, has anyone utilised something similar with success?

Impeller will be running at 3-4000 RPMs, so make sure it is well balanced and tested at these speeds.

dzj":2vuariga said:
Impeller will be running at 3-4000 RPMs, so make sure it is well balanced and tested at these speeds.
It's from an industrial unit. It runs nice and smooth.

Graham Orm":211wo06j said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UopsGH-Yzf4
Graham how far does the outlet (pipe in the lid) protrude down?
I have a bin like yours and wish to make a seperator, I was thinking of 4" so I could connect it to my bandsaw and planer/thicknesser using a soon to be purchased (hopefully) Camvac.

Baldhead

Baldhead":23ekl88k said:
Graham Orm":23ekl88k said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UopsGH-Yzf4
Graham how far does the outlet (pipe in the lid) protrude down?
I have a bin like yours and wish to make a seperator, I was thinking of 4" so I could connect it to my bandsaw and planer/thicknesser using a soon to be purchased (hopefully) Camvac.

Baldhead

A couple of inches I think. I've moved on from that design now, but I don't think the length of that pipe is critical. The important thing is that the pipe that comes in the side sends the waste around the outside of the bin so it falls down.
That bin was much too thin by the way and would collapse if there was any blockage at all.

Graham

Some time ago, I bought two books, by Time life magazine,- Workshop essentials.
Really excellent read, just the thing I guess Mathius Wandell could write!
The copy with a cross cut sled, on front has all the details you need to build a cyclone separator, also a fine filter and many, many, other useful workshop items, including the sled!
As I am unable to do a link or pic, There's one on e bay for £5.98, inc the post.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":3uhfxk1f said:
The copy with a cross cut sled, on front has all the details you need to build a cyclone separator, also a fine filter and many, many, other useful workshop items, including the sled!
As I am unable to do a link or pic, There's one on e bay for £5.98, inc the post.
Regards Rodders

Thanks Rodders.

To insert a link simply copy the address from the address bar and paste it into your comments.

Graham

Graham Orm":3uc01gel said:
blackrodd":3uc01gel said:
Regards Rodders

Thanks Rodders.

To insert a link simply copy the address from the address bar and paste it into your comments.

Graham

Thank's Graham, I'll have a go at that!
Regards Rodders

Ps, Amazon, £2.85. including the post, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Workshop-Essent ... 0783559607

blackrodd":12ynwaaa said:
Graham Orm":12ynwaaa said:
blackrodd":12ynwaaa said:
Regards Rodders

Thanks Rodders.

Graham

Regards Rodders

Ps, Amazon, £2.85. including the post, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Workshop-Essent ... 0783559607

Thanks Rodders, purchased.

blackrodd":1kbbjczf said:
Graham Orm":1kbbjczf said:
blackrodd":1kbbjczf said:
Regards Rodders

Thanks Rodders.

Graham

Regards Rodders

Just ordered one too thanks.

Just to add m £0.02 worth;

I'm another home build of cyclone, mine uses a Thein baffle inside a metal drum. Cost next to nothing, easy to build and works a treat. I'm sure I put some pics up before, will try to find them.

My point though is that it's worth doing given the little expenditure in time and money.

I intend making a cyclone or perhaps just a chip separator. What I do at the moment when sanding on the lathe is, I open a window in front of which is a large industrial type fan, about 12" diameter. The opposite side of the lathe is a 9" extractor fan which blows the fine dust towards the 12" fan. It seems to work, although it is slightly noisy !!

I'm intending to make a ducting from the 12" fan to a cyclone / bin and then use 4" pipes to connect up kit via blast gates. I don't know if that is going to work but it's worth a try. I would like 2 pipes to go to the lathe, and then I will do away with the 9" extractor.I also intend to fit a plywood panel into the window, with a 12" circular cutout, and fit the fan to that.

K

How powerful would the impellar
need to be to be effective?

The one I have is smaller than I remembered :shock:
Plate says 1.1A and 875rpm.

Monkey Mark":6d05y00o said:
How powerful would the impellar
need to be to be effective?

The one I have is smaller than I remembered :shock:
Plate says 1.1A and 875rpm.

Most I've seen are about 1.5KW and 30 - 40cm in diameter.
At 50 Hz, these motors spin at about 2800 RPMs.

This is the one in question.
It's a reasonable size. Presume it has a lower rpm to minimize noise.
Still seems to move a reasonable amount of air.

Attachments

• IMG_20150302_191448.jpg
    IMG_20150302_191448.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 27
Monkey Mark":32nv3d9d said:

What did it originally come from ?
Looks like a commercial kitchen extractor to me and given the rating you gave in your earlier post.

n0legs":2r5n9b2p said:
Monkey Mark":2r5n9b2p said:

What did it originally come from ?
Looks like a commercial kitchen extractor to me and given the rating you gave in your earlier post.
It was from an industrial, albeit small industrial, blown air heating system. I may have another identicle one somewhere.

Monkey Mark":qjqkfu4k said:

I'm not sure it has enough power to work as a shop vac, but you could use it to shift dusty air out of the shop.

Back