Old cast iron planer - what's it worth?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've an old (50's I think) Sagar Bursgreen Planer that I had intended to use but it's just sat in my garage for 5+ years so I need to move it on.

It works but it needs serious refurbing to make it something like.

It comes with a thicknesses attachment - which seems to be pretty rare

It's been converted to single phase at some point and the blade guard is missing.

I've no idea what to advertise it for so what do you think its worth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcNyR2k ... e=youtu.be

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

bursgreenJRpng2_zps46484656.png~original.png

bursgreenJR_zps67f58c5a.png~original.png

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 1,881
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 1,882
  • IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,881
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,881
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,881
  • bursgreenJRpng2_zps46484656.png~original.png
    bursgreenJRpng2_zps46484656.png~original.png
    218 KB · Views: 1,881
  • bursgreenJR_zps67f58c5a.png~original.png
    bursgreenJR_zps67f58c5a.png~original.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 1,881
Are you absolutely sure that you will never ever in your life need a surfacer?
I doubt you can ever find a better surfacer in that size nor a cheaper one. That is a fortunate combination for a buyer though not for you as a seller. Not quite a suitable machine to sell unless you are totally sure that you will never need it.

I have had old tools on my waiting list for up to 10 years at times and then fixed them up.

It is a nice piece of cast iron, with good long tables. It's value is probably far in excess of the price it will sell for if you need a planer. As for the thicknesser attachment I don't quite know how they work.

It would probably sell for 100-150 as it is. Perhaps a touch more. To get a replacement planer thicknesser new you would be looking at 750 or so. And for a standalone planer almost the same, if you can find one. Many companies do not make just planers now, however I prefer separate machines.

I'd consider splittng the Gabro thicknessing attachment and offering that separately. TBH they were not the easiest things to use and could be downright dangerous if you hadn't adjusted the springs just right, but Multico sold a lot of them with their planers (Gabro were in Redhill in the 1950s as were Multico or Kine Engineering as they were originally called, so maybe thaere was a connection). They were also difficult to set just right. The planer without it's guards is probably not worth a lot because the guards will cost a fair bit to make-up professionally and their absence will probably depress the price.

Someone will get their hands on a beautiful old machine for a pittance.

You might be talking me into keeping it. I'm just struggling for room and moving the bloody thing around.

Not easy to put a value on it.

Being single phase makes more desirable, missing a bridge guard much less so. If I had to guess, my thoughts would be it might fetch £150.00. I see there is a 6inch one on flebay for £300 delivered in good condition but 3 phase.

Restored and with a guard, a fantastic quality machine for somebody

angelboy":1kqlwn4z said:
You might be talking me into keeping it. I'm just struggling for room and moving the bloody thing around.

I'd definitely keep it but then again I'm biased as I have it's bigger brother, put some casters on it it makes it much easier to move around.

photo2_zps48238e57.jpg

I think the castors would be a good idea but I can't sort it short term.

The guard arm is present its just the horizontal guard missing. I reckon I should be able to get something machined up.

The bridge guard itself should not be too difficult to make from a piece of hardwood. Elderly bridge guards were very often wooden from the beginning even if yours probably wasn't.

A back guard is also fairly easy to make. This is the back guard I made for my combination:
kutterskydd.JPG

The wooden parts have a very wide dado on the underside. They are held together by a loop of shock cord bought from a boat chandler. The shock cord runs through vertical holes in the wooden parts. Their edges are chamfered so that the guard bends easily and does not take up any room. You would probably want the chamfers on the underside. Maube you could make the entire guard from one panel and just hinge it from the banck of the fence.

Good luck!

Attachments

• kutterskydd.JPG
    kutterskydd.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,656
Looking at the pictures the lack of a guard is basically a non-issue as it looks like the difficult parts, the raising mechanism and the mechanism to clamp the guard in place are all there. You just need to cut a piece of wood to size and you have a perfectly good guard again. The factory guards on my small 8" jointer where wood too so I don't see why that would be an issue, probably looks nicer with some nice piece of finished hardwood than a piece of metal.

I think, as much as it's a great bit of kit, I'm going to have to let it go.

I already have another planer/thicknesser (Elektra Beckum HC260) so that will do.

I'll post an ad up in the for sale section and see where we go.

Looking at the enlarged pics, I see the missing guard wasn't a telescopic type it was a half round, much like guttering , but a little shallower.
I used one a lot, shooting up coffin lids etc and our guard was brass half round, with the edges lightly angled to suit the base.
There's a lock "screw" on one side, so you're buyer should be able to fabricate another fairly easily.
HTH Regards Rodders

Back