Spindle moulder cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about building some plantation window shutters of late, even had a jig shipped from Rockler in the US to assist in the build process. Trouble is, finding suitable cutters for my spindle moulder has been a bit of a challenge. Despite looking through several tooling catalogues I cannot find what I am looking for.

I have however bought a router cutter which will cut the profile for the louvres although I would much rather have the equivalent SM cutters.

I have added a link for the router cutter, hoping someone may be able to provide some assistance on where to look for the
relevant or similar profile SM cutters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310377766596? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I am using a 40mm Euro block btw.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

David

I had a set of 40mm HSS cutters and limiters made up from a sample of a moulding for £100 by my local saw sharpeners.

Pete

It's a very simple shape - you grind your own from blanks or from a redundant old cutter. Cost next to nothing. All you need is a cheapo 6" bench grinder.

Job and Knock":l2d8x2if said:
Yes, Jacob, but what about the limiters?
Ditto.

It's a very simple shape - you grind your own from blanks or from a redundant old limiter. Cost next to nothing. All you need is a cheapo 6" bench grinder.

The trick is to get one cutter spot on and the other one just functioning as a counter-weight, set back slightly if necessary. Spindles are very sturdy machines and the slight imbalance is well within their capacity, and this is normal practice.

Or you could do it without limiters in an old block, but have all safety measures in place and use push sticks so that your fingers are never nearer than 10" or so

The profile is virtually identical to a cill, 8 degrees rather than the 6.5 of the router cutter. I would buy a proper cill block with round over cutters that someone like Whitehill manufacture. Once the projects complete, you will be able to sell it for a price difference that is in all probability less than the price of the special cutters. Alternatively you wil have a very versatile block. I use mine for all sorts besides cills

An ebay seller called david8112013 cut me a set of custom spindle moulder cutters for my 40mm block from some drawings I emailed to him. Very satisfied and would use him again

Bluekingfisher":1pp01jn3 said:
tomatwark":1pp01jn3 said:
White hill sell them off the shelf

http://www.whitehill-tools.com

Cutter no2 under bevel profiles.

I have the whitehill catalogue but assumned this was for the 50mm block?? I'll give them a call to verify
Type b will fit your head, type c will not (they are thicker I think)

I spoke with the ebay trader as indicated by Woodchip. He can grind the exact profile I need, just need to send him a drawing for guidance.

He has quoted me £45 for a pair of 55mm cutters and limiters.

Thanks again Woodchip.

David

Back