Recommendations for a new set of chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkyblue

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Even though I've got lots of chisels, they're all mis-matched, and the one set I did buy 20 odd years ago, (Marples yellow handle type) is missing the 3/4 and 1 inch. So I'm going to spoil myself with a new set, and I've been looking at the Stanley sweetheart 750 set
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XPVU5E/r ... FHMV8VGDEJ
Has anyone bought them, and could give me an opinion on them?? Any other recommends welcome also. I'd love a set of Japanese chisels, but I just can't justify the cost. £150 is my max. OK, appreciate any input. Thanks

I personally like the ray iles set.

Alternatively just treat yourself to the japanese ones in the sizes that you use rather than a full set and call that your set.

+1
Japanese chisels.

The Stanley's are nice buy you'd be better off getting a few ashly iles chisels
1/8
1/4
3/4
1 1/4

Those would do you and when your birthday comes you could fill the gaps in the set with others :)

TT

lurker":1aaivodt said:
RogerP":1aaivodt said:
If you already have many good chisels why do you need a "set"?

I had the same thought, but it's his money!

I suppose it's a reason, if you need a reason.

But mismatched chisels (handles) have the advantage of them being easier to identify amongst your tools simply because they're all different.

Also would recommend a set of Narex. Very well made, with good steel for the price.

Be mindful, that they are designed to be hit with a wooden mallet, not a metal hammer

inkyblue":3i792vwv said:
Hi everyone. Even though I've got lots of chisels, they're all mis-matched, and the one set I did buy 20 odd years ago, (Marples yellow handle type) is missing the 3/4 and 1 inch. So I'm going to spoil myself with a new set, and I've been looking at the Stanley sweetheart 750 set
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007XPVU5E/r ... FHMV8VGDEJ
Has anyone bought them, and could give me an opinion on them?? Any other recommends welcome also. I'd love a set of Japanese chisels, but I just can't justify the cost. £150 is my max. OK, appreciate any input. Thanks

I'm pretty sure Graham Haydon has done a video review on them?? EDIT: Here ya go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbz0j8NGSSA

I have a set of Narex bench chisels that are about a year old and am very happy with them. Good value, but the handles are not pretty.

Narex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4CzzQaZDo

Thanks very much everyone. Watched those videos. The other set I noticed were these MHG ones on Dieter Scmidts page
http://www.fine-tools.com/stemmeisen.html
It was the butt chisels that caught my eye. A full set of 13 for £95. What I read about the Stanley ones were that they were light, and easy on the hands. Mine have had about 2/3rds of a lifetime of hard use, and I'm not as dextrous as I once was, so the lightness was what I was interested in.

inkyblue":2aql6rus said:
Thanks very much everyone. Watched those videos. The other set I noticed were these MHG ones on Dieter Scmidts page
http://www.fine-tools.com/stemmeisen.html
It was the butt chisels that caught my eye. A full set of 13 for £95. What I read about the Stanley ones were that they were light, and easy on the hands. Mine have had about 2/3rds of a lifetime of hard use, and I'm not as dextrous as I once was, so the lightness was what I was interested in.

I also have some Crown butt chisels which hardly ever get touched.

Hello,

I have a set of the Stanley Sweetheart chisels. They are almost perfect, except in one regard, which, depending on the type of work you do, might be their downfall. The lands are too thick for fine dovetailing, which would be unacceptable for me, if they where my only chisels. As it is, I have others I use for dovetailing, leaving the sweetheart ones for other duties. They sharpen well and hold a good edge and their size, weight and balance is a joy. They are beautiful to use in the hand. If they were more suited to fine dovetailing, they would be difficult to beat. If I had to have only one set, I would go for Ashley Iles. I am currently making a set of handles for some Ashley Iles I bought unhandled. I'm following the Sweetheart style, but using tapered ferrules, because I like the Stanley shape so much. The Iles chisels are laser fine for dovetailing and will be my best set.

Regarding chisel sets; some say they are not necessary, but I like a full set, from 1/8 to 1 inch in eighth increments, plus a 1 1/4 and 1 1/2. Dovetails I do are often graduated and fine pinned, so many chisels will cover all the options, and prevents me having to make the job suit the tools and making do. I like graduated handles, if possible, but since I select chisels in use by looking at their blade width, not the handle, I like the handles to match. Mismatched handlles can be awkward in use, and I do not find them useful for identifying the sizes at all.

Mike.

Good to hear Mike's experience and it's true that very fine lands can be a help. Having said that you can cut tidy dovetails with square sided chisels with a land of about a 1/4". Just lean the chisel a bit. The land on the Stanley is small enough to mean the amount of lean you need is tiny. Couple of pics to illustrate although the keen eyed will notice I caught the edge of one ot the tails :oops: :lol:

Dovetail Cover.jpg

Attachments

• Dovetail Cover.jpg
    Dovetail Cover.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 642
  • Dovetail 2.jpg
    Dovetail 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 639
Of cause you are free to use your money for whatever you want but I would not buy a set of chisels if I already had some chisels of good quality.
Why don't you just buy the missing sizes to make the old set complete?

All my three chisel sets are as missmatched as anything can ever be. Antything from 19th century Sheffield made up to 1990ies Bahco with black plastic handles. Some handles are home made and some factory made. I like my chisels that way. It is much easier to use them if you can find the size you are looking for just by taking a quick glance at the handles.

heimlaga":yojs83in said:
........ I like my chisels that way. It is much easier to use them if you can find the size you are looking for just by taking a quick glance at the handles.
+1 :)

Haydon is right square chisels are fine for dovetails. It's rare I use a dovetail joint outside drawers anyway.

If you want nice Stanley chisels then go for it, but you don't really need them. I have some bevel edge firmers from aldi and I doubt I could could cut better joints with the stanleys, although they look lovely. I have mismatched Sheffield made steel hoop ones which I wallop with a mallet when squaring off mortices ect. Marples blue handle when you need bevel edge ones.

They all hold good edges and cost little. But if you like the look of them go for it.

Latest posts

Back