Fire escape stairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornishjoinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Asked to make some stairs for outside balcony, they have to be used as a fire escape. I was wondering if they have to be closed (ie with tread and riser)? cant find anything about fire escape stairs. Many thanks

I know of three people who have fitted fire escapes in the last twelve months, here in Kent. all had to be steel sorry!

I put external fire escape stairs on google and there'e wiki, who go into some detail on rise, going and width.
And parts "B" and "N" possibly relevent to you're query.
I made some ages ago, IIRC, there is a maximum flight length, between landings, which I believe is 16 treads.
I have only had a swift look, and didn't see any mention of this, just be aware, this may still be a requirement.
HTH Regards Rodders

From recollection the spindles have to be a certain width apart, in order that you can't get your head stuck, or a child can't fall through or something trivial like that.

I'd suggest that you have a chat with the local fire enforcers, - this might save you a deal of aggro at a later date. Seem to remember that any openings (windows etc.) onto the escape route have to be at least 1/2 hour fire resistance as well.

As I said, chat to local fire bods. Usually bery helpful as it's in thier interest to get it right first time as well.

Thanks everyone for your help, i think best thing to do is to call local fire dude tomorrow and give them a shout. Its a hard one really because you could jump of the balcony in a fire, and if the outside steps are on fire then i think anyone inside would be long gone!

Back