Converting - planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machone

Established Member
Reaction score
Newbie question alert!

I have an HBM planer thicknesser which I've managed to use successfully on a few smallish pieces of mahogany. However, trying to make some planking from a rough cut lump, I'm having big problems: I can get the two wide sides flat and parallel but my fence keeps being pushed over slightly with the weight of the wood for the perpendicular sides resulting in a 'twisted pararellogram - not what I want!. Is there a way around this? I have messed up twice now and my lump of wood is getting smaller! Would it work better sawing into the plank size strips then converting?

Thanks.

Have you used a planer before? Sometimes beginners are too tense when feeding the wood and apply much too much pressure on the fence, especially if the fence is a bit flimsy, I am not familiar with the HBM so don't know how well built it is. If you can't improve the fence fixing try relaxing a bit when feeding.

Chris

I agree with the comments about the fence. Another option would be a track saw. This should give you a perfectly straight edge at 90degrees to the wide faces.

machone":1f4o3s2e said:
.... Would it work better sawing into the plank size strips then converting?

Thanks.
Not quite sure what you mean here (what is "converting"?) but it's always better to saw close to desired finished size before planing. The only question is how close. Rule of thumb says + 6mm but it may be more if the wood is unstable and/or badly misshaped.

Latest posts

Back