Re wiring a house / central heating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneggysteve

Established Member
Reaction score
My son is thinking of buying an old 3 bed terraced house in S Wales. Anyone got idea roughly cost of a re wire and central heating system?

I googled "How much to rewire a 3 bed house" there are several answers from £1,700 odd in wales!
Central heating, I suggest you google that too, I'd guess and say around £3,000 for mains gas and around £4,500 for oil or solid fuel.
Don't forget, It's not always wise to go for the cheapest quotes.
Better to pay a bit more and have a job well done.
HTH Regards Rodders

blackrodd":2p3wjudg said:
Better to pay a bit more and have a job well done.

Wise words.

There's a reason I still refer to the plumber who installed the system in our last house as 'Mark The @rsehole'...

Mark A":6ormk6e4 said:
There's a reason I still refer to the plumber who installed the system in our last house as 'Mark The pineapple'...

Is that an unfortunate coincidence between your screen name and your plumber :lol:
Sorry Mark I couldn't resist :D

Nah, my name's not Pineapple 8)

As testament to the prowess of the electrician who rewired our house he also has a nickname: 'Martin Wonky-Switches'

Recent rewire of large 4 bed bungalow in Cheshire cost £1600. Job was relatively easy for the sparks, took 3 days instead of quoted 4...but he did have to struggle with a loft full of insulation to get his wires in....hehehe?

Central heating.

Many costs are predetermined eg cost of a boiler. Piping the same. The variable is likely tyo be the time taken and thus the cost of labour. You can probably same a couple of pounds on the biler by knowing the prices for what you want and making sure there is little to no mark up...

Best approach is to not speculate or even ask us. Its to find out by talking to prior customers how good a job was done, asking for at least 3 quotes from the chosen and then making your choices. We would just speculate. Oddly I have found South Wales to be slightly more expensive than elsewhere.

How much of a central heating job is it? New boiler, piping and radiators? That could be very expensive if so.

Wiring is a piece of string but if you search hard enough anwhere from £1500-3000. Depends how much chasing and other more building related work needs to be done. But in my experience the plumbing will be £7-10k for say a combi boiler, piping, radiators around the house. Other methods available but we don't know the requirements of your house.

Mark A":u3iu6qpm said:
Nah, my name's not Pineapple 8)

As testament to the prowess of the electrician who rewired our house he also has a nickname: 'Martin Wonky-Switches'
Isn't it strange how the people that fit wonky switches always do it in the direction that can't be adjusted? It's never a case of loosening them then doing them up again. There's nothing accidental about it - it's just negligence.

if you are having a complte rewire basically from scratch, now is the time to think about TV, Sat, FM, DAB phone, internet, alarm etc. it is easier to do it now than think "oh b*ll*cks" LATER

Just finished a rewire of my 3 bed terrace. £800 for materials and £1600 labour

Also had a Vaillant ecotec plus 824 boiler supplied and fitted for about £2000. I then plumbed all radiators myself which I sourced for £300 from Mr central heating and then pipe and fittings from Screwfix for an additional £200 I'd guess.

Hope that helps.

Back