small lathes - what are the ones to look for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking at trying a bit of wood turning and now i have almost got the outhouse tidy i will have room.

the space isnt big, the worktop is 2.3 meters long, but this also has the pillar drill/scroll saw and dont want the entire space taken up.

so what are the best smaller lathes to look for?

will be used for small projects rather than long ones, so dont need a long bed, which helps!

so any suggestions on where to start looking and also the cheapest way to start!

thanks

I'd highly recommend an old Arundel J4 if you can find one. I just got rid of mine for a bigger modern one and it's made me appreciate what a niece piece of engineering the Arundel was. The bed can be shortened to whatever you want.

I can recommend the Jet mini lathes. The 1015 and 1221 are very nice machines.

I have a belt change 1014 and it's small but good and solid.

HTH
Jon

+1 for the Jet 1014 lathe, I started on this lathe and it is really good and solid, but have just upgraded, there is also a 500 mm bed extension available from Axminster, I think its reduced to about £45
Cheers
Andy

I actually have an arundle j4 that I was given as a do-er upper. It needs a motor, pulley and a switch. The drive belt may also need replacing, but that would only be a couple of quid. I was going to restore it, but have sold a few bits in the workshop and am going to treat myself to something new or nearly new, probably the jet 1014. It is yours if you want it- collection from Leeds.

I would have a think what you want to turn- if bowls interest you then the over bed capacity is a consideration- the axi 1416 gets a good writeup. I want to turn pens and tool handles and use turning to add components to furniture projects- the jet looks ideal for that.

andy43":2b0zvflv said:
+1 for the Jet 1014 lathe, I started on this lathe and it is really good and solid, but have just upgraded, there is also a 500 mm bed extension available from Axminster, I think its reduced to about £45
Cheers
Andy

but be warned- you cant buy the 1014 new in the UK now. I have been searching, (having already bought the extension from axi!), and there are still some on ebay Germany. You pay a bit more that the UK List price with shipping, but not too much.

For some reason, they dont seem to be many sold on ebay- certainly not many in the last month or two.

marcros":1tay4grc said:
andy43":1tay4grc said:
Cheers
Andy

but be warned- you cant buy the 1014 new in the UK now. I have been searching, (having already bought the extension from axi!), and there are still some on ebay Germany. You pay a bit more that the UK List price with shipping, but not too much.

For some reason, they dont seem to be many sold on ebay- certainly not many in the last month or two.

Marcos
Turners Retreat are selling the 1014 for £292 at the moment
cheers
Andy

Andy,

They list it, but dont have stock. I have rang everybody I can find listing it, including those saying "in stock" but to no avail. The big stores have sold them all and the small ones order them in from Brimarc. I bought the extension in late dec, when it showed up in the axi sale, happy in the knowledge that I would get the lathe after Christmas, when I would be around to accept delivery. It was still on the jet website in early jan, so it must have caught some retailers out.

Mark

marcros":n41u1bde said:
Andy,

They list it, but dont have stock. I have rang everybody I can find listing it, including those saying "in stock" but to no avail. The big stores have sold them all and the small ones order them in from Brimarc. I bought the extension in late dec, when it showed up in the axi sale, happy in the knowledge that I would get the lathe after Christmas, when I would be around to accept delivery. It was still on the jet website in early jan, so it must have caught some retailers out.

Mark

Didn't know that mate, they should update the sites
cheers
Andy

Well, as you probably realized, the 1014 has been replaced by the 1015.

...but I have two Jet lathes and I'd expect the 1015 to be at least as good as the old 1014.

The only downside of the replacement/upgrade is that it also covers the price.

There are plenty of Jet stockists in the UK besides Axminster. So my suggestion is to go to your local stockist and negotiate. They will know what Axi charge and that you can get it direct from them. You should be able to get a few percent off that price IME.

HTH
Jon

I was looking for a 1014 for the club in early December and was told by Turners Retreat that they had been discontinued around October '14.
The replacement model is approx. £540 with the variable speed version close on £750; have had a 1014 of my own for about four years now and it is (IMHO) the best small lathe you could get and no doubt the new models will be just as good.

Dave

If I were to look for a really cheap little lathe on a budget I have a soft spot for the venerable Myford ML8's

There is a working one for sale on the net just now at £200

Our club recently bought one of the MT2 Jets and they are bullet proof I have to say. The bigger model we use for demonstrators is the 1614 and that's a nice sturdy work horse too. We got it from John Davis in Stockbridge. Have you tried him? He seems very well hooked in to the network, might be worth a phone call.

The blue Record DML24 lathes were well built and can be picked up for not much money. Good cheap way to see if you like woodturning and if you do can be sold on to upgrade or if you don't will also sell.

You'll also need to budget for 5 or 6 tools and a grindstone to sharpen the tools. Then you need to get somebody to teach you the basics either by joining a club or get a good DVD like http://www.garyrance.co.uk/dvd/gary-ran ... 1494140625. Gary show you all the basic cuts plus how to sharpen without jigs.

If you get hooked then upgrade the lathe, buy fancy chucks and lots of tools and sharpening jigs :lol:

Regards Keith

Don't overlook the 1950-60's vintage coronet lathes, often multi purpose, saw bench, planer,thickneser etc often come up on ebay for little money. Quaility British engineering.

Back