Uprating Motors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Bray

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of having a bit of a move around of some of my motors.

I am thinking of increasing the power of my AW106PT Planer/Thicknesser from 1.5hp to 3hp, using the 1.5hp motor from the Planer/Thicknesser to upgrade my 1hp Bandsaw and maybe using the 1hp motor in my 0.75 motored Dust Collector.

Are there any issues other than potential size and drive mechanisms?

probably obvious, ensure the speeds are the same, or you will need to start changing pulleys etc

I'm not sure you will see a performance increase in the dust collector unless you do increase the speed.

If you increase the motor power you need to be sure that the other components will cope - eg: drive belts, bearings, gears etc. May not be a issue as I don't know the machine construction, but to draw an analogy with cars it's may be a bit like putting a V6 in a Fiesta. It may go faster until the brakes fail, engine overheats or the clutch burns out.

Good luck!

Terry

A project best discarded imho, basically for two of the reasons already stated, extraction fan more than likely will not gain anything from more available horse power, (speed at best will be the same) other equipment may not be mechanically up to using the additional power.

Back