advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpw123

Established Member
Reaction score
advice needed please

hi guys, anybody know how i would go about making a couple of small brass catches i need to replace. they are only small but don't have a clue how to go about making them, i had a look on ebay for brasss block with the possibly naive idea that i could possibly use a rotary tool maybe to form the shape & drill the small hole required ? how did i loose them in the first place i hear you cry :) the catches come off a porthole, they keep the glass shut, only trouble is i left the windows open while traveling & the engine vibrations loosened the small screw & by design the glass leans into boat so loose screws drop out , fall outside & disappear into canal, gone but not forgotten :) I have included a couple of pics which hopefully will make things clearer. Any advice greatly appreciated

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,111
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,111
If the windows are a style currently available, have you tried calling the makers to see if they can help?
Even if they are an old item, a current maker might have something that could fit.

If you don't know about makers, I suggest asking on the Canal world discussion forum for advice.

And when you have fitted a replacement, some Loctite should help prevent the screws vibrating loose.

AndyT":1g97i1n9 said:
If the windows are a style currently available, have you tried calling the makers to see if they can help?
Even if they are an old item, a current maker might have something that could fit.

If you don't know about makers, I suggest asking on the Canal world discussion forum for advice.

And when you have fitted a replacement, some Loctite should help prevent the screws vibrating loose.

thanks andy , good idea about the loctite, wished i'd done that , would have saved me a bit of grief, wife says she fed up of jamming wedges in to stop the draughts. Also I will look on canal world see if any body as had similar trouble & come up with a solution, Both good idea's, thanks again

John.

hi all, following andy's advice i searched for similar on canal world, which led me to pro cast nottingham who manufacture
brass portholes very similar to mine, they also supply spare catches, not only me that dosn't loctite them in. :) £3 each plus delivery, happy days, thanks again to Andy, cheers

Back