Very small Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigus

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this in my other thread but I suppose it might be worth having another topic so that others can find it...

Looking for some advice and any thoughts on my bench design.

It is driven by having it in a space that is only 1,150mm wide, so it can't be any longer than shown. It is becoming more Roubo looking even though it started out as a small Paul Sellers style bench, but that had to be adapted as I don't like the idea of a well, and the apron had to go because I need storage under the bench. So now it is a complete hybrid.

I'd appreciate some advice on fixing the top to the base? Glued and recexssed bolts maybe? Also on where to mount the vice (hopefully an old Record) on such a small bench in a tight space, has to be in the middle I guess?

Attachments

• Workbench.png
    Workbench.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 278
Are you right handed?
If so the vice should be to the right of the left leg. (Move/leave out dog holes in that area)
Fixing the top, dowels, and screws from underneath.

Bod

You might also want to think about stability, especially when using a lot of force e.g. stock planing.

A small workbench has a small floor footprint, making it more prone to tipping than a larger bench.

Compounding this is a small bench's low mass/weight. Mass resists impacts (e.g. hammering)
and weight keeps the thing in place.

You might want to consider a means of fixing it, either to wall, floor or both. Or of putting a lot
of mass onto it somehow.

BugBear

What about a bench hinged from the wall that would fold up againt the walll when not in use. The hinges would steady it when it is folded down and in use. I once found a bench like that at the municipal dump. It was very well made with big solid forges strap hinges and a pair of front legs. That was before they installed surveylance cameras at the dump so I brought the bench home. I sold it a couple you years ago so unfortunately I have no pictures to show you.

Another option would be building a cabinet under the bench so you can utilize every cubic inch or storage space in your tiny shop. You don't want to waste any space do you.

On a compact bench like that I would mount an American style twin screw vice across the entire end. Then this one vice would serve as both front vice and tail vice.

Just my thoughts....... and I work in a very cramped shop though it is a lot bigger than yours.

If you built it onto a base which extended far enough for you to stand on it might make it less prone to tipping and / or moving.

Several bags off sand / ballast tucked away neatly underneath a removable cover in the lower section should give you enough mass and can easily be removed for moving if required.

If you are struggling with where to put the vice you could always build a Moxon vice and store it under the bench when not in use. I would also make a selection of birds mouth plates out of thin board which can be attached to one end of the bench when needed to allow you to wedge the work piece in for planing etc. I work in a shed which started life as a 6' x 4' but i have extended it out to be 6' x 9' at it's biggest point ( it's a wedge shape against the back wall of my garden ) so i understand your issues with the restricted space! Have a look for ideas on viceless working by searching on the PBS website for the woodwrights shop viceless devices. i found this helped loads as I used to have a vice mounted in the middle of the bench but i have now got rid of it as I used to catch myself on it all the time!

Would love to see some pics when its done. Maybe even a WIP? I came across this by the other day which reminded me of this thread :-

http://youtu.be/fpQprRclcss

Its a small joinery bench by the renaissance woodworker. May give you some ideas, i particularly like the flip up stop he has attached to the side of the bench

I like the look of this bench for use in the dining room, I am tempted to make the top of one out of my stockpile of Iroko and use 4x4 PAR for the leg assembly. I am currently working out the best way to make my vise assembly. I think it will suffice for dovetail work, a bit of cutting with a bench hook and using a shooting board for accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpQprRclcss

Back