metabo sxe 450 or festool rotex 150??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

As per the title really, I need a 6" sander that can be used for both rough and finishing work.

The metabo 450 seems like a pretty reasonable sander for the money and gets plenty of recommendations from searches on here, however theres also the rotex 150 at more than twice the price - I've no doubt over the festool quality having a couple of other festool bits but is it worth the extra money?

Has anybody put in any time with both machines that can give a balanced opinion?

I await in anticipation :)

Thanks

Hi I've used both.

Really good machines but for me rotex was the one. Despite the prohibitive price it's an excellent machine, equally at home with a 24 grit pad on parquet or with a microfibre pad polishing the car.
Combined with a festool extractor the dust extraction is excellent.

Jay

I've had both (sold the Metabo) and they're fine sanders, but different animals. The Metabo is a dual orbit sander - you can change the size of the oscillation from ~3mm or ~6mm, so in Festool terms this is a bit like having an ETS 150/5 and a 150/3 in one machine. The Rotex is a gear driven orbital sander - same orbit, but driven much more aggressively for coarser sanding; and of course, you can switch off the 'Rotex' mode and use it as a regular RO sander.

So I'd say it's down to how you intend to use it - how much aggressive sanding do you expect to need? Also, if you're thinking of spending Rotex kind of money, then I'd throw the Mirka Deros into the mix as well. Despite having enough sanders to open my own toolshop, I was seriously tempted with one of these after having a play with one at a suppliers recently.

HTH Pete

I love my Mirka Deros, it is a joy to use. The interchangeable 5"/6" pads are handy when you need to cover wider/narrower areas. It can eat through the abranet discs if you aren't careful on edges/corners, but once you get the hang of it, they last well.
It is lovely and light to use, with a good range of speeds. Coupled with a decent shop vac, about 98% of the dust is extracted too.

Interesting.

I thought there would be a rash of festool bashing but apparently not.

I also have the wrong end of the stick with the metabo sander, I must admit when I saw the wattage specs and the dual orbit that it would be a good alternative to the rotex's abilities. :

I do have a fair bit of course sanding to do in the coming year, garden furniture and various bits to make from reclaim timber that is pretty rough on the outside etc etc. Theres also some finer stuff to do, table top re-finishing and some nicer furniture bits to do if I ever get time.

I wonder if I would be better off buy two different machines, a rotary style sander (similar in style to the RAS115) with a dust shroud for the nastier work and then something like an ETS 150/3 to work on making a finish. Is there too much of a jump between the two tools? Is the ets really only a finish sander and not up to the intermediate sanding?

Thanks for the replys and thoughts so far, I would appreciate any input on the above from you more experienced folks.

My experience with sanders is pretty limited - well very limited to be fair, I have certainly cut/drilled/bashed/screwdrived/nailed/ground my fair share stuff over the years and I've used/abused piles of tools doing it - sanding? and especially sanding to a good finish... nah... just household renovation and some butchery at work.

Thanks.

No skills":2a44n4xs said:
I do have a fair bit of course sanding to do in the coming year, garden furniture and various bits to make from reclaim timber that is pretty rough on the outside etc etc. Theres also some finer stuff to do, table top re-finishing and some nicer furniture bits to do if I ever get time.
That's kind of task is where the Rotex comes into its own - the downside is that it's a relatively large, heavy machine to use when you need a finer finish, especially if it isn't horizontal.

I wonder if I would be better off buy two different machines, a rotary style sander (similar in style to the RAS115) with a dust shroud for the nastier work and then something like an ETS 150/3 to work on making a finish. Is there too much of a jump between the two tools? Is the ets really only a finish sander and not up to the intermediate sanding?
I have a RAS115, and it's *way* more aggressive than a Rotex, basically a spinning disc with some dust collection. I'd say the ETS 150/3 is principally a finish sander - caveat that I don't own a 150/3, but have the ETS125 which has a similar orbit. So yes, IMHO going from a rotary sander (RAS 115-alike) to a 150/3 would be too big a jump.

The ETS 150/5 is a great all-round sander though - can be plenty aggressive with coarser abrasive, or a fine surface sander with a lighter touch and finer papers; it was my first Festool sander, and remains my go-to sander for most things. FWIW there was a new version of the 150/5 introduced this year, but there are still stocks of the older version around at reduced price.

Personally, if I was buying again/starting afresh I'd start with a 150mm sander with a 5mm orbit, and add something more aggressive if I needed to, and right now I'd be struggling to choose between the Festool ETS 150/5 and the Mirka Deros...

Cheers, Pete

I have had the Metabo 450 for a few years and wouln't be without it. It has done everything I have trown at it from garden furniture to finishing around 250m of oak skirting.

I am a heavy hobby/DIY user.

James

I have used both and am still using the Rotex. I have to say the Metabo was a good sander but I did manage to destroy it within two years of use with the bearing seizing and melting the plastic cover! I still have it in pieces under my bench. I do however use an air powered palm sander and would go for the Mirka electric one next when this one gives out. :wink:

Well I have been thinking, I'm sure you all heard the cogs grinding...

I think I will be best off with separate tools for the upcoming jobs :-

1. Middle of the road 115mm grinder with a universal shroud and hopefully a good backing pad (if I can find one). That will cover the roughest of the rough sanding (and shaping if needed), plus it will give me a backup 115mm grinder to replace my old shagged one.

2. 150mm x 5mm RO sander, most likely an ETS 150/5 if I can get one for the right price at the right time - if not then the metabo 450.
I'd rather go with the festool tbh, I've not long got into the 'system' and I'd rather stick with it than head down another route. I looked at the Mirka's online - they do look like a very good tool and the price is reasonable compared to the new festool (and a nice yellow systainer too :) ) but again I'm just started with the green stuff...

Any short comings between 1 and 2 will have to be met with my dubious hand planeing skills until I can convince myself to buy a RO90 :D

Looks like I have a lot of saving up to do between now and the summer #-o :) especially as I'm just pulling the trigger on a 10.8v drill driver set that I've been threatening to buy for two years.

If anybody has any further input on the above please chime in, you cant beat experience and I value everybodys here.

Thank you one and all.

(Cant believe I talked myself out of a RO150 :shock: )

No skills":1bhv2ioo said:
1. Middle of the road 115mm grinder with a universal shroud and hopefully a good backing pad (if I can find one). That will cover the roughest of the rough sanding (and shaping if needed), plus it will give me a backup 115mm grinder to replace my old shagged one.

Here's a link to some dust shrouds

I bought the cheapest shroud listed for a particular job, and although it worked well it's not substantial enough for more than very occasional use.

The more expensive shrouds look much better.

Mark

I had a look at several options to achieve a similar objective not that long ago. I ended up with an Ro90, Ro150 and an ETS150/3

This has proved to be a superb complement of sanders and have since found that it seems to be a common selection of those on the FOG.

The only thing I would add is that the dust extraction on all three machines is simply phenomenal and the lack of vibration usually associated with RO sanders makes them a joy to use.

Guess what I found whilst cleaning out a cupboard today... a £30 off festool sanders voucher, expired months ago - cock it #-o #-o #-o

Mark - thanks for the link, shrouds look handy.

Shed - Yes the reduced dust is something I like about the green stuff. Also previous sanders I've had would of been better off sold in an adults only shops for other kinds of diy.

No skills":2krj1i7z said:
Guess what I found whilst cleaning out a cupboard today... a £30 off festool sanders voucher, expired months ago - cock it #-o #-o #-o

Festool dropped a £50 voucher through letterboxes last Christmas, may happen again...

Back