Removing tennoner cutter block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinet maker chris

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a multico tm3 tennoner which hasn't been used in a few years. I have successfully removed the top cutter block however I am unsure of what direction to turn the nut to loosen the cutter block on the bottom. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

One is a left hand thread so if you have got one off turning the nut the correct way then to loosen the nut on the other block it will be a left hand thread
They are designed like this as one turns clockwise whilst the other turns anti clockwise so prevents torque loosening the nuts in operation

My rebuild thread may be of assistance

multico-tenoner-restoration-t62806.html

The Multico is a brilliant machine, great buy.

Which ever way you either pulled or pushed the spanner to get off one block, pull, or push in the same direction for the other block. The threads as stated above are LH and RH, but as one block is upside down you pull or push the spanner in the same direction for both. The block orientation takes care if the thread direction.

I bought mine really, really cheap as the bloke I bought it off could not work out why the tennons it cut were not square and even along their length. I've since found that this can be a problem with any of the machines that's been stripped down and is really easy to fix. The key is that the table must be set to be exactly square and parallel with the two rods / rails it runs on. Mine does not have adjustable (off centre camb) bearing rollers so to get it right it was just a question of moving around the roller mounts until it properly aligned. I think the table and fence are skimmed after the table was mounted to the two rails.....but I could be wrong.

As said one is left hand thread.
Use a hide mallet to tap the spanner. Its the high speed kinetic impact that moves the nut and helps to save your knuckles from injury.

Bryan.

Another couple of points to keep in mind.
If this particular machine is anything like those I worked on forty(cough)years ago.

Keep face edge and sides to fence and bed of machine to allow for possible variance in material thickness etc.
Both cutter blocks travel together to set cut height of lower block and a seperate lock and adjuster move the top block for tennon thickness.
Hope this helps.

Bryan.

Back