Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kierri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hewwo,

I've been putting feelers out about wood and nothing comes back to me. I tried a coffin making company, a kitchen company and a flooring company. No responses. I've noticed how some drawer units that are veneered can have wooden carcasses on the draws, so may have to demolish to use - though would have no idea what wood it is.

I see B&Q have some scaffolding planks that have been pressure treated, made from Spruce. Would the pressure treating make it unusable?

Despite lots of research, still can't find any wood - and can't afford to buy the usual Mahogany, Walnut panels from Hobbies.

Frustrating :) I know B n Q have lots of pine on offer, but it's not really a favourite. Can't afford that either at the mo, lol so wondered if you guys had any canny ideas....

Thank you :) Also, what's a good finish for Spruce? I used a panel from Hobbies that I bought ages ago and crafted a Christian Fish with the name Jesus in the middle for a friend. The grain is absolutely beautiful, makes it look more like a fish than it is :) I just need a finish to highlight it's amazing-ness.

Thanks you :)

Hi Kierri. I can fully understand your frustrations in finding wood. I think what might be a good idea is to sit down with the telephone directory and look for joinery firms. When you have made your list I would visit each one and look in their skips, if you find anything useful just nip inside and ask if it's okay if you help yourself to what's in the skip, you may be surprised that some may even offer to keep suitable bits to one side for you. After all what they consider off cuts may well mean you can make a few items from them.

Another alternative is to visit charity shops and boot fairs. Be careful though, a lot of MDF and chipboard can be disguised as real wood. Plywood is also useful for a number of projects but it may involve sanding off thick varnish, especially on old wardrobes. Talking of which. I had a phone call yesterday afternoon from a lady who said she was dismantling a wardrobe and would I like the wood. I was round there like a shot but sadly it was made from veneered chipboard. Another source of wood may be the local tip. I would not consider the scaffold boards, if they have been treated the wood will look awful, even when sanded, plus it's a bit on the thick side as well.

Just done quick "Google" on Joinery Manufactures in Blackpool -- came up with 4 --- make some stuff take it to them and ask if you can have their off cuts

The more you make/sell people will get to know you and offer you wood --- some good some not good!

John

Hi Kerri
I agree with Chippy geoff. I get all my wood from my local joinery, they are happy to resize any off cuts to managable pieces for a couple of quid
Regards
Brendan

over here (Ireland) we call a "joinery" a place where they make stairs, doors, skirting boards etc.
I am very lucky, the one I use always has walnut, beech, ash, oak, iroko and sometimes has cherry, maple and red oak.
As an example, on thursday I got
3 foot x 9 inches x 1 inch beech
4 foot x 12 inches x 3/4 inch oak
4 foot x 9 inches x 3/4 ash
4 foot x 12 inches x 1 inch piranha pine
2.5 foot x 6 inches x 3/4 inch red oak
all for €25!
the owner will even plane and thickness it to what whatever thickness I want.

Back