Best screws for walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used a couple of different screws that don't need plugs for attaching kitchen units and stuff to internal block walls. Would really like to know what the best really is and what you would recommend. The ones I have been using are prone to crumbling the wall and not holding......very frustrating!

Thanks in advance

I've always used 8mm plugs regardless of the wall. (I'm a kitchen fitter). I've never had a problem.

I like plugs a lot and use them when ever possible. However, when faced with a tiled wall on 9mm plaster, blobbed on the wall with a space of c19mm on to thermalite block it gets a little tricky to be sure your into the plug. For these instances I try to use wall screws or concreate screws. Sometimes is great, sometimes it's not! Shower screens, and vanity units in bathrooms an be a pain if the fixing goes wriong (usually in a rental, which sees high abuse), hence my question of the best screws from people's experience, or alternatively a better solution that anyone can suggest.

For the ultimate, use Rigifix drywall fixings. There are various sources including Amazon.

I have used them for TV brackets on dot & dabbed plasterboard on thermalite block walls - ie with a 1 cm gap. The smaller M6 ones require a 12mm hole so are a bit chunky, but they are reliable and the fitting can be unscrewed and refixed very easily. The plastic plug does have a flange which means your shower screen, for example, wouldn't go flush against the tile. But this flange could be cut off once the plug had been tapped into place.

Back