Local farmer burning old sofa, car tyres ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I looked out my window to see a sight that resembled an out of control oil well fire. The farmer in question was having his annual bonfire and was burning old car tyres / plastic sheeting / matresses ....

The reason I know this as I cycled past the hug heap a few times. It grates me that the individual feels that it is acceptable to have such a bonfire.

I was thinking of speaking to environmental health, but I know they won't do anything about it.

I would have thought that the Environment Agency would be interested and likely to take action, if not prosecute. Here is a link to their leaflet on the burning of waste.

Waste Management - It's a burning Issue

Farm - You must not burn inorganic farm waste, such as tyres and plastic, in the open.

If he is a farmer then he is not an individual but a business and subject to stricter rules than we mere householders.

A photo or two might help in future, or contact them before he burns it.

Sorry to hear that but it doesn't surprise me. The rules obviously don't apply to him. I'd print out that first page in Nigel's link and post it to him. If that doesn't work then contact the EA.

If it is one night a year is it really worth making an issue of it?

wizard":32wayv5h said:
Its all part of living in the countryside
What. Someone burning all their old rubbish as they don't want to pay for it to be diposed of properly. It is the environmental aspect of it all that makes me cross. I just think of all the toxic fumes and debris that is given off.

It may have been acceptable a few years ago, but I think times have changed

Around here farmers have a licence/authority to burn farm waste, diseased trees, hedgerow waste etc.
Burning of waste plastics, tyres etc. which are toxic and not carbon neutral would soon have the environmental officer visiting, they even do so when a newcomer to the area objects to a normal allowed burn done with consideration to others just to make sure things are kosher.

flanajb":tkm50owp said:
What. Someone burning all their old rubbish as they don't want to pay for it to be diposed of properly.

Why don't you offer to pay for him to have a couple of grab trucks or skips to take it away, say five hundred quid or so should do it, then you'll both be happy !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":1610zokh said:
flanajb":1610zokh said:
What. Someone burning all their old rubbish as they don't want to pay for it to be diposed of properly.

Why don't you offer to pay for him to have a couple of grab trucks or skips to take it away, say five hundred quid or so should do it, then you'll both be happy !

Cheers, Paul
Please do enlighten me as to what was going through your mind when you posted that one

It's difficult to comment without knowing the exact circumstances, but I can sympathise with someone who may not be flush with cash trying to get rid of a lot of stuff by burning. However, if they have pocketfuls of moolah and light their Havanas with fivers then maybe finding a more ecologically sound method of disposal is more appropriate.

Unfortunately, due to economics, some people really do find it harder to dispose of goods than others. Having worked for a recycling charity, I'm well aware that recycling and re-use is actually more expensive in many cases than throwing stuff away or burning it. The cost of "disposing" of stuff is also very high and actually discourages people from doing it in an "environmentally responsible manner".

Rather than being fed up, if you don't know the farmer, it could be an opportunity to get to know him and see if you can help him find a better way to deal with his waste. Pop round, tell him you were concerned about the burning and is there any way you could help out. He may take his twelve bore to you or he may be grateful of some help.

What's that old saying, put up or shut up. If you're not prepared to object to it using the channels provided you really can't expect a lot of sympathy from whining about it here.
Sorry. But that's my view.

Col.

flanajb":3hqc0zq7 said:
Last night I looked out my window to see a sight that resembled an out of control oil well fire. The farmer in question was having his annual bonfire and was burning old car tyres / plastic sheeting / matresses ....

The reason I know this as I cycled past the hug heap a few times. It grates me that the individual feels that it is acceptable to have such a bonfire.

I was thinking of speaking to environmental health, but I know they won't do anything about it.

Is it possible that the reason he has a fire is to get rid of the rubbish that is fly-tipped on his land :?:

Roger, that is a very good point, and would be quite likely around where I live. The council in their wisdom charge so much for dumping it that people fly tip, then the council have to pay to send people out to pick it up. Sound economics, apparently.

Firstly I will admit to having sinned in the past, with regard to waste fires, partly through ignorance and I found the EA pdf quite enlightening if a little patronising in tone.
However I am quite surprised at the general tone of the replies to the OP, some of the cheap remarks are without any thought or substance and discourage any sensible discussion.
I'm quite prone to acting my shoe-size when I smell pomposity but hopefully not at the expense of others.

I think the farmer in question was more than a little inconsiderate, and possibly acting illegally, but as someone who lives in a very rural area would rather him burn it than fly tip as many people do these days. on almost a weekly bias we find all manner of items tipped in our lane everything from double beds to chest freezers.

Back