New bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been to collect a little bandsaw this evening- an inca 260 as they seem to be known. It is a French made one from 1993 and looks to be in good condition.

I am not sure what I will do with it. I bought it because I am impressed with the inca planer thicknesser that I have which is very good quality and the bandsaws have a good reputation too. I was told of inca "luthiers tend to like them and they are a fussy lot". I also fancy having a saw with a narrow blade in because my big saw has a 3/4" in as default. Whether I can justify a second bandsaw in terms of space, we will see.

In the sales brochures, it mentions a sanding accessory instead of a blade. Has anybody seen these for sale or used any?

I put a metal cutting blade (from Tuffsaws of course) on my smaller band-saw - very useful.

Thanks Alex. I hadn't got as far as looking yet.

A metal blade is an option. I assume suited to non ferrous metals? Is the speed ok for metal cutting- it will be a single speed model.

marcros":1aond97m said:

A metal blade is an option. I assume suited to non ferrous metals? Is the speed ok for metal cutting- it will be a single speed model.
No the speed is wrong, it should be much slower, but mine manages fine for sheet stuff and mainly brass - which is what I use it for.

I have the opposite situation to you. I already own an Inca band saw but would also like a bigger one to complement it my ideal would be a Kity 613 but at the moment space and finance wont allow it.
The kit you are asking about is Inca part number 342.186.68 however there is little to it. The kit consists of only 3 parts, a table insert with a bigger slot, a plate that supports the back of the belt and a bracket to hold the plate on. I think that if you got a sanding belt of the correct width and length you could make a support for the back of the belt that could just clamp to the table when needed. One side of the support plate is flat and the other side is half round for sanding curves.
Personally I wouldn't cut metal on mine I think that after a few mins. use the tyres would get embedded with metal chips.

marcros":3p91zsom said:

I have an old Burgess BBS 20, early 1970's vintage, which I used to successfully cut 16 swg steel plate with. That was with the Burgess bandsaw blade.
I would imagine any blade from Tuffsaws would be a better bet.
xy

powertools":3fha6n18 said:
I have the opposite situation to you. I already own an Inca band saw but would also like a bigger one to complement it my ideal would be a Kity 613 but at the moment space and finance wont allow it.
The kit you are asking about is Inca part number 342.186.68 however there is little to it. The kit consists of only 3 parts, a table insert with a bigger slot, a plate that supports the back of the belt and a bracket to hold the plate on. I think that if you got a sanding belt of the correct width and length you could make a support for the back of the belt that could just clamp to the table when needed. One side of the support plate is flat and the other side is half round for sanding curves.
Personally I wouldn't cut metal on mine I think that after a few mins. use the tyres would get embedded with metal chips.

I will probably start with seeing how it performs and getting a narrow wood blade for it. I don't cut much metal so probably not worth exploring that option too far.

Have you got the sanding attachment? Is it any good?

my ideal would be a Kity 613 but at the moment space and finance wont allow it.

I had the misfortune to use a Kity 613 in the last place I worked, in thirty + years in the trade it is by far the worst bandsaw I have ever used. You would to better to spend your money on an old Startrite or just about any other make than Kity, unless you enjoy constantly fiddling with the damn thing to get it to cut straight. We also had a kity bench saw and that was horrible as well, trying to set the fence was a nightmare because it shifted 1mm when you tried to lock it, sometimes it would shift to the right and sometimes to the left. AAAAHHHHHHHH you have brought back bad memories for me. I am going to pop down to the workshop and give my Startrite a hug to make me feel better. :(

I have had the opposite experience with the kity kit that I have had. I haven't had or used the bandsaw though, just a couple of table saws.

I will probably start with seeing how it performs and getting a narrow wood blade for it. I don't cut much metal so probably not worth exploring that option too far.

Have you got the sanding attachment? Is it any good?

I do have the sander kit but to be honest I had forgotten about it until I read your post I think that I must have used it in the past but I don't remember when looking for it this morning I also came across a 1/8 blade with special guides that I have never used. Next time I am in the workshop with not much to do I will give them both a try.

Quote:-

I had the misfortune to use a Kity 613 in the last place I worked, in thirty + years in the trade it is by far the worst bandsaw I have ever used. You would to better to spend your money on an old Startrite or just about any other make than Kity, unless you enjoy constantly fiddling with the damn thing to get it to cut straight. We also had a kity bench saw and that was horrible as well, trying to set the fence was a nightmare because it shifted 1mm when you tried to lock it, sometimes it would shift to the right and sometimes to the left. AAAAHHHHHHHH you have brought back bad memories for me. I am going to pop down to the workshop and give my Startrite a hug to make me feel better. :(

I have a kity 5 function machine already and although I am well aware that it is far from good by modern standards I have spent time modifying it to improve it and am happy to live with it's faults and as a fan of older Kity machines I would be more than happy to do the same with a Kity 613.
I have just given that machine a hug to make me feel better.

I would be interested to see the special guides on the narrow blade. I might try one from tuffsaws. Hopefully I can make the wooden blocks work for it, even if it needs to be a specific set for that blade.

Photo of 1/8 blade guides

Inca blade guides.jpg

Photo of sander kit
Inca sander kit.jpg

Iv'e never used the 1/8 blade guides but I doubt if they would last long as the black parts are plastic the disc rotates on the shaft I would think that every time you purchased a new 1/8 blade it came with new guides.

Attachments

• Inca sander kit.jpg
    Inca sander kit.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Inca blade guides.jpg
    Inca blade guides.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 89
Actually, yes the blades will eat into the plastic guides, but that is supposed to happen. Once they have cut in so far, they don't cut any more, the body of the blade is supported fully and the teeth are not damaged by the guides.
I stick a small disc of MDF on mine to do the same job works superbly.
S

Back