Cleaning a stain off posh red leather handbag

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
My Mrs had a chemical spill on her expensive red leather bag last week and it's left a white powdery looking stain. Anybody got any ideas how I might clean it please? She's tried warm soapy water so what's the next notch or two up in the aggression scale for leather?

Thanks in advance

Come on, we all know it's your handbag ..............

Edited
Random Orbital Bob":3r3omnnq said:
I had a glue spill on my lovely expensive red leather bag last week and it's left a white powdery looking stain. Anybody got any ideas how I might clean it please? I've tried warm soapy water so what's the next notch or two up in the aggression scale for leather?

Thanks I need the handbag as it matches my red leather trousers

:lol:

Hey! No taking the mickey out of men with handbags! :)

I bought my first in India in the late 80s and have carried one ever since. I must have worn out more than a dozen. They are not as popular as they once were and I had some difficulty in replacing the last one that became tatty.

A handbag saves me looking like a packhorse.

Right chaps...all very nice n all but can we just clarify and confirm something.... I DONT HAVE A HANDBAG :)

My wife however does....and I need to clean it....if you could possibly turn your considerable focus and brains on to solving that I would be eternally in your debt (whilst remaining entirely free of mens arm attire)

:)

Random Orbital Bob":5hbetb9y said:
Right chaps...all very nice n all but can we just clarify and confirm something.... I DONT HAVE A HANDBAG :)
Try asking Santa. :)

Random Orbital Bob":5hbetb9y said:
My wife however does....and I need to clean it....if you could possibly turn your considerable focus and brains on to solving that I would be eternally in your debt (whilst remaining entirely free of mens arm attire)

OK, can you tell us more about the nature of the chemical attack? Oil, alkali, acid? My chemistry is antiquated (I did teach it for 4 years but now I wouldn't know which end of a test-tube to hold), but I'm sure we'll all do our best.

After we've all stopped teasing you.

S

Hi Bob , a common method of treating leathers would be an oil soap , saddle soap or just a clear boot polish. All depend on getting the area as clean as possible and then a lot of rubbing. Might not get the stain completely out , but should lessen it's noticeability . Again , this is dependant upon the type of staining , so try on a small edge to see if this improves things before sealing a stain in place by accident.
You will please note that I did not rib you at all in this post.

Hi Bob

Taking your problem seriously, if you could give me more information on the chemical I could look in my wife's Stain Removal pamphlet.

Baldhead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 922
Right...that's going to be a problem (id-ing the chemical) because it happened while we were in hospital. I won't go into detail about the nature of the visit but the chemical may well have been quite caustic in nature. It doesn't appear to have actually dissolved the leather so I'm rather hoping to start at the bottom of the aggressive scale and move upwards til it either shifts the stain or destroys the bag. Help so far has been appreciated.

Sorry Bob the wifes little pamphlet isn't any use unless you know the actual chemical that's caused the stain, however I've had a thought, you could try a weak solution of a liquid you spray onto bird droppings on the car bodywork before you wash it off? I'm sure Halfords will sell it.

Baldhead

Edit. As for the jokes about man bags, my nieces partner always has a bag on his shoulder, it contains everything he needs incase of emergencies because he is diabetic, mind you he did say he would never wear a red one!!!
Sorry Bob I couldn't resist joining in the ribbing :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this forum. You can go from suicidal ripping on a RAS to man bags in the blink of an eye - although I didn't think manbags came in red?

Glynne":3htqcn4e said:
I love this forum. You can go from suicidal ripping on a RAS to man bags in the blink of an eye - although I didn't think manbags came in red?

Bob's obviously does. I must look out for one myself.
He'll start protesting again in a minute.

Come on Bob, we want to know how you got on. Have you fixed it or do you have to go shopping for a whole new outfit?

S

Steve Maskery":3ha77716 said:
Glynne":3ha77716 said:

Baldhead's obviously does.
He'll start protesting again in a minute.

Come on Stew, we want to know how you got on. Have you fixed it or do you have to go shopping for a whole new outfit?

S
I don't understand Steve, can you explain.

Baldhead

Random Orbital Bob said:
Hmmmmmm.......me thinks though doth protest too much :lol:

Back