Help removing ink stain please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebeetle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have just had a biro leak its contents all over the top of our chest of drawers.

I have managed to get off what hadn't soaked in with meths but does anyone have any advice on how to get the ink out of the wood please?

Swmbo is not very happy!

Thanks

Mike

I have seen a method of making a paste with water and baking soda, rubbing it in and wiping it off. You may need to repeat a few times. I have never used it though.

The most reliable method of getting ink stains out is to use oxalic acid. You can buy it ready mixed in a bottle ( liberon call it 'wood bleacher' I think they add a little meths to it ) or in crystal form and mix it with hot water then rub in gently with a soft nylon scourer. You may have to leave it on overnight. When the stains have gone, rinse several times with fresh water. It is very poisonous, so wear gloves, keep children and pets away and throw away any rags you use. It is also a good idea to wear a mask when sanding after bleaching as the dust will likely still have traces of it and breathing it is very unpleasant not to mention dangerous to you health. It is also a good idea to treat the whole of the top because if you just treat a localised area you may get a patch as it will of course bleach any stain that is in the wood.
I have not heard of the baking soda method that Marcos mentioned but that sounds interesting and a lot less poisonous. The next time I have ink stains to remove I will give it a go and report back.

Thanks for the advise guys. I think I might try the safer method first! Will report on progress

We used to use some stuff called "Supercell" in the lab for extracting pigments and the like from surfaces. It was some form of cellulose which had a greater attraction for the pigment than did the substrate. Might be worth Googling, although my useage was some 50 years ago.............

mikebeetle said:
Hi

I have just had a biro leak its contents all over the top of our chest of drawers.

I have managed to get off what hadn't soaked in with meths but does anyone have any advice on how to get the ink out of the wood please?

If you do it as soon as possible after it has marked the work Nail varnish Remover (acetone) put on with wire wool and wiped off with paper towels worked for me, it still left a very faint blue discoloration but after touching up with light stain and refinishing it was hardly noticeable.

Like Mr Snodgrass I use oxalic acid for removing stains. I have a saturated solution which I apply locally, although you may find it leaves a lighter patch then you'll need to treat the whole surface. I am not as cautious about it as Mr S, but would beware of sanding after application as the dust crystals can get in your lungs.

Chris

Back