burning pen to sign work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all
My wife is after a pyrography / burning pen to sign some of the things we do with a fine neat signature. Probably in quite a small area. Or possibly a symbol she could design instead.

Is a burning pen (weller hobby kit for example) able to do this? Or can fine work only be done with a professional machine?

She would want to keep it simple so I'm not sure wire burning machines will be the right choice here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If what you are wanting is an easy to apply simple design, such as a monogram, have you considered having a small branding iron made up ? I've had it in the back of my mind for some time that that might be an easy way to put a signature on the underside of pieces of furniture etc. Not tried it myself, but it's on my to do list.

Robert

Let us know how you get on. I had wondered about trying to make up a brand myself, but my metal working skills are not of the highest order. If you could purchase one at a reasonable price that would be the way to go.

Robert

Many thanks chaps
I think she specifically wants a pen but wanted to know if she could do fine work with it. I got a nice response from a guy who posted on youtube who says you can with practice so I'm going to get the weller pen kit (and maybe make a nice box for it :)

Cheers

For anyone with their own CNC machine they could make a fortune from making custom brands for soldering irons with woodworkers names/logos on and the materials would be cheap...... also the software would easily cope with such a basic item. I used to have my own CNC machine but sadly had to sell it when i was forced to retire (health) as i could have made them myself, what we need to do is ask on the metalwork section of the forum for anyone who could machine them... it would help us and also give them some extra cash.

mickthetree":1f8rcfem said:
Many thanks chaps
I think she specifically wants a pen but wanted to know if she could do fine work with it. I got a nice response from a guy who posted on youtube who says you can with practice so I'm going to get the weller pen kit (and maybe make a nice box for it :)

Cheers

Mick,

Do let us know how she gets on with it - It'd be interesting to know, and as posted above, maybe a metal-head could be encouraged to make some branding irons

Cheers

Greg

Back