Dewalt 625, 625E and 625EK for Woodrat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvestbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the differences in the above router models? I think the replacement of my old Elu router is close, it is used mainly on my Woodrat. The Dewalt seems the popular choice is this so?
I have a Triton on my router table which works well but as I fancied the plunge bars on the Woodrat this is not an option.

It works well - it was one that was recommended for it.
Weight isn't an issue as the router is supported by the table.
The plunge bars are a good extra.
I also have another one on my router table - but that points up :)

Rod

Thanks all I have just won a 625E on eBay so will buy the plunge bars after it arrives. Are many using the muscle chuck, how desirable is it?

Sorry I've never heard of it - I use an extension chuck operated by an Allen Key - makes changing cutters much easier (cannot remember the name but well known a few years back?)

Rod

The 625EK is 240v and Electronic Variable speed. Its basically a copy of the old Elu MOF 177E.

I have 2 x 625 EK's and 2 MOF 177E's. The quality of the older Elu routers does show through, even though I don't use them very often anymore, but I do use my 625's almost daily as they are my "Go To" routers of choice.

Plenty of power and reliable !

Tim.

harvestbarn":2pw3y52d said:
Thanks all I have just won a 625E on eBay so will buy the plunge bars after it arrives. Are many using the muscle chuck, how desirable is it?

I find the Muscle Chuck absolutely invaluable. After getting one for the 625E in my Wood rat, I bought one for my hand held Elu as the threads were beginning to go on the spindle, and the Muscle Chuck has given it a new lease of life as well as making the router bits easier to change.

When the Dewalt 625E is fully plunged how much guide bar is left showing, my new router has 20.8mm is this correct? My old Elu goes right down to the bottom so it seems a little odd.

Well it should go all the way down! Found the right hand plastic rod on which the plunger spring fits round was bent and not engaging with the spigot it should fit on. All working now the eBay description was very inaccurate "lightly used like new" ! In addition to the above fault the machine was intermittent starting, this turned out to be a lead fault just below the plug. Also the depth guage did not work this was caused by the slider being bent seizing it up and preventing the rack gears engaging.

Back