Small van recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to plunge into getting a van, with about £2,500. Along the lines of Renault Kangoo, Vauxhall Combo type. Looking at the various Arthur Daley establishments via the inter web fills me with the dread. Any recommendations on type of vehicle or dealers in the Portsmouth/Petersfield area. I'd maybe rather a private deal but getting around on a motorbike at this time of year to look is a bit of a chore, plus it's too big to sling in the back if I decide to buy :cry: !!

I would have a look at the Suzuki Carry, based on carrying capacity for its size

I've been running a suzuki for 6 years now and if they still made them i'd have a new one tomorrow.

But it's suitability to you depends entirely on what you need from a van, they're not without their quirks.

Your budget would get you the newest (2005) carry with low mileage in good nick.

I had a Suzuki carry van x reg, 2,000 really good sized van, sliding door each side, etc.
Not cheap to run, 36-38 mpg, and best suited to local trips rather than, say, 50 mile trips as easy to over rev the 1300 motor.
Rust can be an issue, 'specially around the front wheel arches/ suspension.
I now have a Citroen Berlingo, which is a Peaugeot really, had it for 7 years now.
Petrol 1600cc 40+ gallon, it's done 167.750miles, no troubles at all, regular servicing.
Couldn't find a 1.9 diesel at a sensible mileage.
Tyres, battery's and a wiper motor, no rust, reliable but a bit smaller than the Suzuki.
Regards Rodders

Bought a low mileage '07 Berlingo about four years ago and it's been pretty much faultless, mechanically, nothing needed aside from routine maintenance. Folding passenger seat means you can fit a lot in there - when you don't have a passenger, obviously - and having just one side door means you can rack out the other side for all those odds and ends you'll carry.

The only niggle with Citroen/Peugeot vans is that they sling the spare wheel in a cage under the back floor - readily visible, and easily nicked. DAMHIKT.

Thanks for the input guys :D

I hadn't thought of the Suzuki, but will look at them too. I should have also asked if any of the smaller vans can take 8'x4' sheet as I haven't seen any info on this. If any do but only at a steep angle, this could be an issue for racking out the inside.

Cheers

Ross

8x4's can fit in the back of my Doblo if leant up at a steep angle (and almost three feet sticking out the back) but I tend you use roof bars and strong ratchet straps.

Either way it's not ideal if you are going to be carrying a lot of sheet material.

Why struggle - Just find yourself a transit or similar, as they definitely carry 8 x 4 sheets. They will also fit in multi story carparks, you can rack them out etc etc.

Just my 2 pennies worth

Back