Prototype goblet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the prototype for a new series I am doing. Not glued up yet. Wood is oak ebonised with lemon juice on the outside. Inside will be coated for use. Pewter is old mugs melted down and recast before turning to shape and size. C&C welcome as always.

Pete
oak pewter goblet 2.jpg
oak pewter goblet 3.jpg

Attachments

• oak pewter goblet 2.jpg
    oak pewter goblet 2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 969
  • oak pewter goblet 3.jpg
    oak pewter goblet 3.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 969
On the whole I like it the only bit I am not sure about is the extra bit at the bottom of the bowl section. The Pewter goes well with the ebonised effect which is not overdone also I like the fact you have left the inside natural wood

Dalboy":1cply2i6 said:
On the whole I like it the only bit I am not sure about is the extra bit at the bottom of the bowl section. The Pewter goes well with the ebonised effect which is not overdone also I like the fact you have left the inside natural wood
+1 - I was also having negative thoughts about that part - couldn't quite fathom if it was sitting correctly - but I suspect the goblet might be better without it.

I also think the extra section of the bowl detracts from the elegance of the piece. Its a case of less is more I think.

Thanks for the comments. Oddly enough the design with the extra bit at the bottom is actually one of my best selling goblets. First one I did like this was based on an acorn with the bottom 'cup' part stained and the rest natural. Seemed very popular as it sold straight away so I have doe a variety of them in this style. Most popular with the men, ladies seem to like the more 'genteel' styles. As this series progresses I will no doubt make others without it though.

Pete

i like the design
however
i am not sure of the profile on the bowl part
i guess it looks like a thistle

Steve

Bodrighy":27cph86j said:
Thanks for the comments. Oddly enough the design with the extra bit at the bottom is actually one of my best selling goblets. First one I did like this was based on an acorn with the bottom 'cup' part stained and the rest natural. Seemed very popular as it sold straight away so I have doe a variety of them in this style. Most popular with the men, ladies seem to like the more 'genteel' styles. As this series progresses I will no doubt make others without it though.

Pete

I find this a lot that turners always look at things like your goblet and may not like the design but the general public like what we don't. All I can say is keep making them and selling them as that is what is wanted :D
I think that we just look at things in a different way

I made a couple of natural edged Goblets one which I thought would never sell because of the shape yet it sold within 5 minutes of completion to a neighbour

Back