How many chisels and gouges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

No, I'm not asking how many chisels and gouges do you need, that would be silly :mrgreen: . It's how many have I got, so far.

I've done a count of about half of my chisels and gouges and it's come to 71. All bought within the last 18 months.

Attachments

• 4 x Marples.jpg
    4 x Marples.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 5 x I. Sorby.jpg
    5 x I. Sorby.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 6 .jpg
    6 .jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 7 .jpg
    7 .jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 2,692
  • 6  .jpg
    6 .jpg
    183 KB · Views: 2,692
Mr_P":2qjrkl38 said:
Congratulations but not many bevel edged ?

I just think bevel edge are less common amongst older chisels, so that's what I have.

Quite a collection John. I think I would try to put them into sets of say 6mm to 25mm to give an idea of what you've got and which ones are duplicates. Then choose the best as your working chisels.

Good luck

John

I'm not saying either. They would get embarrassed if I made them all line up together. ;-)

They are much easier to store than planes!

JohnPW":37x570xe said:
Hello all,

No, I'm not asking how many chisels and gouges do you need, that would be silly :mrgreen: . It's how many have I got, so far.

I've done a count of about half of my chisels and gouges and it's come to 71. All bought within the last 18 months.

What is the eventual aim? Is it to see how many chisels you can amass, different makers, or just to collect, or no real aim?
(This is a genuine question not just a snide comment!)

He who dies with the most chisels wins!

I have around 200 chisels gouges and carving tools.

Pete

At 2 hours a time to properly clean, flatten and sharpen car boot chisels that's 144 hours or about 4 weeks work!!

A real labour of love.

Terry (the proud owner of no more than 20)

Yorkshire Sam":2st6sssg said:
JohnPW":2st6sssg said:
Hello all,

What is the eventual aim? Is it to see how many chisels you can amass, different makers, or just to collect, or no real aim?
(This is a genuine question not just a snide comment!)

I just wanted to keep a record, so that i know what I've got. And I do buy them to use.

I really do like old chisels though, and the good thing about them is they are relatively cheap and easy to store (as mentioned). I just buy them when and where I can, for the right price of course. Most cost between 50p and £3 each. I used to never pay more than about £3.50, except for a set of Marples paring gouges which were about £7.50 each. But now I'm more picky, about £2 is the most I would pay now. Only a handful are from car boots, either I go to the wrong ones or I go too late.

These are the 9 chisels and 12 gouges that I have at college at the moment, so that makes a total of 92 so far.
9 chisels.jpg

12 gouges.jpg

The Henry Taylor gouge was brand new, £2.20 from Ebay!

Attachments

• 9 chisels.jpg
    9 chisels.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 2,241
  • 12 gouges.jpg
    12 gouges.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 2,240
It's a good thing Alf doesn't call in here anymore. She had a real weakness for a nice secondhand chisel. She's probably still well ahead of most of us.

As for me - I'm not saying either :oops:

Cheers, Vann.

ps: I think I've got more planes than chisels.... 8)

Ive about 30 inc about 5 firmer and a couple of gouges and a couple of skews for the dovetails. Oh and a couple ive ground thinner for inlay like stringing (2 and 3mm)
Ones i use most while in work, probably amount to 4 maybe 5 .All old cast steel.

You just cant beat those old chisels for taking one hell of an edge 8)

nice set..do you focus more on general woodworking,carpentry or woodcarving?just a curiosity..!

snickare":256oax60 said:
nice set..do you focus more on general woodworking,carpentry or woodcarving?just a curiosity..!
My main interest is musical instrument making at the moment but I'm interested in all sorts of woodwork with hand tools.

Here's a few more.
7 tools,2.46.JPG

4 Stormont turning chisels.JPG

Total so far is 98 chisels and gouges and 5 turning tools, or 103 including turning tools.

Attachments

• 7 tools,2.46.JPG
    7 tools,2.46.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 957
  • 4 Stormont turning chisels.JPG
    4 Stormont turning chisels.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 957
Back