wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ring

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I am looking to get into scroll sawing can i ask where do you get your wood i have looked on e.bay can you advise me on sellers to use looking for mixed bundles of hard wood etc .
Tnx Jim

I have had a similar problem in finding good wood. I have an appointment at a well renowned guitar luthier, who will let me raid his scrap bin - but I haven't got myself round there yet. I've bought some Mahogany, Cherry & Walnut from Hobbies & Always Hobbies and some Lime carving blocks from the timber guys advertised at the top of the forum pages. There are others... Such as the Exotoc Hardwood Company, but I think it's rather costly.

Every time I go to the charity shops looking for solid wood, all they have is veneered chipboard masquerading as 18th Century Hallway Tables!

Whereabouts are you Brian/Claymore?

Kierri x

I wish I had the hardware required to process the stuff myself. Thanks for the ebay page though!

Tnx guys never thought about recycling old furniture will please the wife she loves going into charity shops.
Jim

Hi i'm with Brian and WC, I look in charity shops, but pickings are slim. Unfortunately fly tipping is a real issue in the forestry round me but fortunately some nice pieces of wood can be found. What I've done is bought a scavenger permit from the forestry commission. This allows me to collect left over pieces of pine which have been discarded when harvesting. Some nice logs 12" in width 24" long can be found in the brash lines. I get these home and cut planks off the with the chain saw. (dry them out first) I've invested in a planer/thicknesser, from scewfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb579p ... 230v/15774 this allows me to have a supply of descent spruce. And when they are putting in the tracks some nice Birch, Alder, Ash, Hazel logs can be found. Takes some looking for but its all their.
Ive also visited B&Q not the best option but ready available timber, local joiners shops and timber merchants for off cuts

rob39":sca91tul said:
What I've done is bought a scavenger permit from the forestry commission. This allows me to collect left over pieces of pine which have been discarded when harvesting.

Never heard of a scavenger permit - sounds like a good idea esp if you have a wood burner as well.
Looked at Forestry Commission England website (scavenger permit is Forestry Commission Scotland ) and they take the view

' Scavenging firewood from the forest is not allowed. It is considered as important habitat material for all kinds of organisms which significantly contribute to the overall ecological interest of the forest. '

so it looks like I'm not going to get one !!!

Brian

Sounds to me like it's nothing to do with "elf'n'safety" and everything to do with financial gain from selling scavenger licences to "registered" local timber merchants!!!

ardenwoodcraft":31wswg0n said:
Sounds to me like it's nothing to do with "elf'n'safety" and everything to do with financial gain from selling scavenger licences to "registered" local timber merchants!!!

I concur.

Back