trend t30 catches broken

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Trend T 30 works well but is a tatty bit of kit compared to most domestic vacuum appliances. The catches have both broken. Miles TMC have sent replacements which don't fit. An alternative would be straps or bungies but the round shape means they slip off.
Any suggestions, such as where I can get the right fittings?

PS and the bags and other parts are bloody expensive. Paper bags are cheap but they burst and you have to clean out the filters etc.

Hi Jacob,

Can't help regarding the catches, however regarding the bags.

Ive started using the cloth type, which you can get some canny deals on if you look around, and I think they hold more capacity and definitely gives the vac increased suction.

Phil

If you can hang on a bit I can pick the old catches up on Tuesday & take them down to a mate who runs the local vacuum shop, also if you've got a spare bag I can take that as well, he came up with alternative bags for my old Delta, much cheaper & seemed stronger.

Jacob":2dm1l05s said:
Trend T 30 works well but is a tatty bit of kit compared to most domestic vacuum appliances. The catches have both broken. Miles TMC have sent replacements which don't fit. An alternative would be straps or bungies but the round shape means they slip off.
Any suggestions, such as where I can get the right fittings?

PS and the bags and other parts are bloody expensive. Paper bags are cheap but they burst and you have to clean out the filters etc.

Why use bags Jacob? They work well without with the standard or fine filter. Trend even suggest that.
If you can't rivet the replacement clips in then do use straps or a bungies but place the motor part in a position that each end of the handle sits over where the clips should be and run the straps or bungies under and up to the other side of the handle, if that makes sense. They shouldn't slip with the castors on. Or rivet/bolt something in place where the clips should be to hold the straps or whatever you use.

PS- why don't the new clips fit? Did they change the design?

PPS- or wait for Doug.

Sounds a good plan, Doug.

Our local vac shop is literally round the corner, and they're good, too.

I asked about my Parkside - can't get the right shape, and the bags sag on the spigot for the hose (ad then tear or burst).

They said they had a workaround: put something thick and smooth into the bottom of the collecting bin, to support the bag.

I immediately thought of some politicians, but stuff like polystyrene sheet or just blocks of wood apparently works well. It's handy as mine is presently using up some wrong-shaped bags I got earlier in the year.

As for why bags - they help preserve the motor and the filters.

Eric The Viking":ok416k9n said:
Sounds a good plan, Doug.

Our local vac shop is literally round the corner, and they're good, too.

I asked about my Parkside - can't get the right shape, and the bags sag on the spigot for the hose (ad then tear or burst).

They said they had a workaround: put something thick and smooth into the bottom of the collecting bin, to support the bag.

I immediately thought of some politicians, but stuff like polystyrene sheet or just blocks of wood apparently works well. It's handy as mine is presently using up some wrong-shaped bags I got earlier in the year.

As for why bags - they help preserve the motor and the filters.

The T30 is designed to be used without bags with the correct filter.

It'll work without the bags but if you do a lot of fine sanding the filters block in no time and hold up the job. Have been using it with an ROS and a belt sander.
Also you get a nose full of dust when you empty into the bin and then fiddle about cleaning filters. Nice and dust free with the bags.
The replacement catches are different, all metal but the right design except for holes in the wrong place. Didn't want to drill the plastic as it'd weaken it - but suddenly realised I can drill the metal instead! I'll try that shortly. Bungees/straps don't work too well however you do it.
All I need now is some better bags and we are laffin!

Back