Irwin Quick Grip Clamps ... Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiac

Established Member
Reaction score
Irwin Quick Grip Handy Clamp: http://youtu.be/Cd4TyAEIe-w

I bought a pair of these off ebay (brand new not used) a couple of days ago for holding workpieces to the workmate while I jigsaw or whatever. I'm squeezing them so hard knuckles are cracking but when you let go they relax to the nearest tooth on the ratchet part and the workpiece isn't gripped.

Am I going something wrong, or are they just no good??

I also bought a pair of quick clamps that work like caulking guns and those are brilliant, so I'm not being weak handed with the Irwin ones :p

Oddly enough they don't do any better either way up.

I'm just confused why they work in that video but not for me. It's easy to see HOW they work and why they aren't holding so I was just at a loss as to how they seem to work for someone else. Irwin products are usually good aren't they? :p

A few years ago my wife bought a dozen of them for me. As thoughtful as she was, they were just rubbish for the same reason you mentioned. I kept them for a few months and then decided they were taking up space. Into the tip with them.

Thanks for the link to the other irwin clamps but ive got similar clamps for gluing up, also I bought these ones as well as a pair of the ones that work like a caulking gun and they will do the job that these won't. For holding a workpiece you need a clamp with a wider gape and these pippers are going back and I'll be buying two more of the others probably.

Cheers for all replies, I got confused why irwin CLAMPS wouldn't actually clamp !!

Back