Chamfer Edges of Irregular Shaped Parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best tool & method to cut chamfers on the edges of MDF / plywood shapes with irregular edges and internal corners? - see example below. I regularly need to cut a lot of these (and similar parts) accurately and quickly so I want to know the best way to do this. I currently use a router table with chamfer cutter for most of these parts, but this isn't ideal for the internal corners due to the large diameter of the cutter. Is there a better way?

Richard.

chamfer.jpg

Attachments

• chamfer.jpg
    chamfer.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 139
How are you cutting them out, and at what sort of size? Does the chamfer leave much land, or does it go all the way across the edge?
xy

Thanks for all replies. The parts are mostly around 12" - 18" long and cut from 6mm or 9mm MDF or ply on a small cnc machine. The chamfers are across the whole edge of the board. Chamfer router cutters work ok for most, but on the internal corners it's not possible to chamfer right up to the corner without taking a big chunk out of the other edge. To avoid this I currently stop short of the corner and extend the chamfer into the corner using hand tools, but this is a real pain when I have a lot of parts to cut. I was wondering if there was a better way to do this that I haven't thought of.

Richard.

Is it possible to clamp the part at 45deg and use a end mill to cut the chamfer?

Pete

Back