Nu lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozza

Reaction score
Hi there

i have an NU tool lathe and the main shaft is bent so shakes like mad and nothing can be turned fully round.

Anyone tell me where i can get a spare shaft.

Many thnaks

Warren

wozza":1qs1v88p said:
i have an NU tool lathe and the main shaft is bent so shakes like mad and nothing can be turned fully round.
Are you sure your diagnosis is correct? You would have to be a gorilla to bend the spindle on a lathe to make it 'shake like mad'.

What is the model number? The images I get when I google show a Chinese lathe that umpteen manufacturers badge. One of these will possibly have spares

Bill

NWL37

When i put a face plate on and turn by hand there is almost 3 mm of movement. It looks like the t rest is damaged at one end, so i think its hit the chuck at hi speed.

Bought 2nd hand a few months back hand problems turning pens completely round. Mandrel vibrates due to the shaft.

Cant afford a new lathe let and dont want to spend silly money on a new shaft.

Wozza

When I Google NWL37 I get a different set of images than I did previously. Bad news is that I do not recognise any other manufacturer of that lathe.

All I can suggest is that you screw a block of wood to your faceplate. Turn it to round and drill a hole in the end to fit the taper on your pen mandrill. Two concentric holes of different depths will do. A bodge but cheap.

Good luck.

Hi Warren

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had one of these lathes for years and it served me well. I seem to remember that Axminster used to do upgraded replacement parts for these lathes. They might be worth a try. I also found that the pulley would work lose causing all sorts of vibrations. It meant repositioning the pulley on the shaft and tightening up the Allen screw against the flat on the shaft. A bit of a make do but it worked. Good luck

Mike

Unscrew the tailstock and tool rest quick release bolts all the way out and check in the holes for little brass slugs.
The slug in my tail stock was worn and caused loads of play at the tailstock I flipped it around and now the play has been solved till I can get brass rod to replace them.
and as nagden says check the pulley for hex head set screws and give them a tighten.

Thanks Dick,

All i need know is advise on how to remove the old one? And should i replace the bearings as well?

WW

The "new" shaft should be in the post tomorrow or maybe Tuesday. But can't help with disassembly/reassembly. Maybe post a pic on here an we can advise - it's probably similar to other lathes with roller/ball bearings.

Without seeing detailed photo's of the inside of the cover and also of the outside end of the shaft it is difficult to see how it is assembled and even then it may not give all of the answers

Back