Wood ID please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubberfrog

Reaction score
Hi all

Just got into wood turning about a month ago. I have been practicing on scraps of wood I have laying around the garage. Last week behind where I work this was cut down and left, I asked if i could have the thicker parts, which they gladly gave me.

Problem is no one knew what type of tree it was. Could anyone help me with this and is it worth keeping or just use for practice.

14921008494_fb3186c126_z.jpg

Many thanks

RF

Attachments

• 14921008494_fb3186c126_z.jpg
    14921008494_fb3186c126_z.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 915
but despite the species its almost always useable if the purpose is practice. Especially if its was from a broad leafed (deciduous) tree ie not a pine of some sort. This would mean its 99% likely to be a hardwood and as such highly likely to be good for practice. It may not look pretty at the end but as practice for beads and coves, parting, ogee's etc etc it usually doesn't matter much what it is. I've turned pretty much everything I could get my hands on when I started and some lovely surprises came out of doing that, hidden gems.

I would pop for Sycamore from that pic too, the bark at least looks the part.

I would expect sycamore to be a bit paler than that, looks a bit like bay or laurel maybe

Just walked over to where the tree was cut down, to see if there was any leaves left on the smaller branches. No leave but lots of helicopter seeds, so i would say it is a sycamore.

Thanks for all the help.

RF

Are the helecopter seeds reddish in colour ? And at what angle are pairs of wings? If they are almost horizontal at an angle of almost 180 degre's and or reddish it will be field maple, if the wings are at about 90 degree's it will be Sycamore

Hope that clears things up

Thanks for the info Dave, I took a quick snap this morning on the way in to work.

20141017_075404.jpg

Thanks

RF

Attachments

• 20141017_075404.jpg
    20141017_075404.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 714
Hi RF
It is Sycamore (Sycamore Maple)
The other differences are that Maple has distinctive grain and rings whereas Sycamore has obscure rings and the grain is faint

Wonderful stuff is wood

Hope that helps

david123":yscoymlp said:
Hi RF
It is Sycamore (Sycamore Maple)
The other differences are that Maple has distinctive grain and rings whereas Sycamore has obscure rings and the grain is faint

Wonderful stuff is wood

Hope that helps

Excellent, many thanks. I will shelve it for later use.

RF.

Back