Howdens kitchen/built in dishwasher

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just moved and have a Howdens kitchen with built in Currys essentials dishwasher. I think the dishwasher is a 6ID60W12 (possibly 61D60W12). There are 2 problems with it. First I need to get the wooden door off the front to get to the screws holding the handle on, because the handles hanging off. I have no instructions, anyone know how to get it off, I understand all differ slightly.

Secondly this built in dishwasher is not really built in, in that it is not fixed and just moves back and forth in the hole, meaning it is sometimes lined up, sometimes not, sometimes catches the plinth (notched), sometimes not. What do I need hardware wise to fix this and how do I do it.

All help gratefully received.

Mark

The Bear":3502dune said:
I've just moved and have a Howdens kitchen with built in Currys essentials dishwasher. I think the dishwasher is a 6ID60W12 (possibly 61D60W12). There are 2 problems with it. First I need to get the wooden door off the front to get to the screws holding the handle on, because the handles hanging off. I have no instructions, anyone know how to get it off, I understand all differ slightly.
It's pretty common for there to be screws all the way through the dishwasher door holding the front on - if you can't see any fancy bolts / brackets holding it on then this is most likely - there should be a slight gap between the door front and the actual dishwasher door allowing you to slide something long and thin (e.g. metal rule) in the gap to feel where the screws are. There are a myriad of other fixing though but most are fairly easy to work out.

Secondly this built in dishwasher is not really built in, in that it is not fixed and just moves back and forth in the hole, meaning it is sometimes lined up, sometimes not, sometimes catches the plinth (notched), sometimes not. What do I need hardware wise to fix this and how do I do it.
What's your worktop made of? Ideally you need a fixing kit and these are fairly specific to your dishwasher (although it wouldn't be that hard to make one) - these will allow you to fix the DW into the worktop at the top (assuming it's not granite) or through the sides into surrounding units. As a last resort drill a small pilot hole through the feet and screw into the floor, but not ideal - most of the force opening a dishwasher is at the top so that's the bit that needs to be most secure.

Some dishwashers use screws going through the door into the false front door
Some have clip in brackets that you have to slide from the side or from the top or the bottom
There really is no set standard and it can be a minefield at times trying to get a door off
After a quick search I think you will find the model number will be either CID60W12 or CIL60W12
If so you may be able to get a manual for it on the following link
http://eumanual.com/brand/currys-essentials
HTH and good luck

Roger

Thanks both
The top is bog standard laminate so no prob screwing to that if need be.
There are about a dozen screws through the actual door and possibly into the wooden door, would this many be usual or is it likely only some go all the way through?
I'll double check the model number tomorrow when I'm home, a manual will def help.
Who would have originally sold the fixing kit, Howdens or Currys?

Thanks again

Mark

Hi Mark
Don't know about that particular D/W but the fixings have no relevence to it being a Howdens kitchen as the fixings come with the machine to fit to any make door.

The most common method is using brackets to locate the door front to the machine but then it is "locked" in to place by substituting 4 of the machine screws with longer ones that go into the drawer front. So...

Open the macine door and down each side, to the outside of the door seal you should see a number of crosshead screws. Look to see if any of the heads have marks on the head where they've had a driver used and these will be the ones. If no marks then try second screw down from top of door and next a couple further down, just ease one at a time and see if the door slackens.

It's a lot easier than it seems on paper.

regards
Bob

PS
As far as fixing the machine in place, there are usually small angle brackets each side that secure it to the cabinets and / or worktop though one I vetted a few months agoe had location holes to screw straight through.

PPS
Once the correct screws are removed the door will slide off the brackets, usually upwards but occasionally sideways - just jiggle it about, carefully! :lol:

Thanks Bob I'll try looking for marks on the screws.

With regard to the fixing kit I meant to fix the dishwasher in the hole and stop it moving rather than the door fixing kit. Would that have come with the dishwasher as well or can they be bought after? Any idea?

mark

The Bear":2ao55j7m said:
Thanks Bob I'll try looking for marks on the screws.

With regard to the fixing kit I meant to fix the dishwasher in the hole and stop it moving rather than the door fixing kit. Would that have come with the dishwasher as well or can they be bought after? Any idea?

mark

Not usually a kit as such Mark.
With the door open look at each side of the machine top and bottom to see if any small angle bracket fitted which the instllers haven't bothered to fix to the cabinets or worktop.
If none there look to see if any pre drilled holes to fix brackets to (the brackets are usually only about 20mm x 20mm or so and you can use anything as long as they don't foul the door.. failing that you will need fixing instructions to see the hole positions.

cheers
Bob

The fixing kits come with the machines
If you slide the dishwasher out at the top and on the sides you may have built in brackets that you need to pull out to secure the machine.

bracket.jpg

Its usually just 4 longer screws that are used in the door and the majority of the times its the 3rd and 5th screws down from the top but it could be any of them they are usually a minimum of 40mm long whereas the rest of the screws in the side of the machine are around 16mm.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 443
Thanks for all the pointers, I might not get round to this until Friday now but I'll post back with how I get on

Mark

So I did get round to doing this. The door came off easy enough once i'd found the right screws and handle was easy to fix. As for the whole thing moving in the hole, that was more of a bodge without proper fixing kit, but I'll see how it fares. Thanks for he input.

Mark

Back