Turning Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige52

Established Member
Reaction score
I bet you've heard this a few times...... 8)
Being new to turning, I started off with a micro lathe by Proxxon which is perfect for the small things I make, I also use a cheap set of Axminster mini chisels which were about £30 in a box, no problems with them, but I don't know any better as I have nothing to compare them with.
Deciding I needed a lathe with more grunt and capacity, I bought a Clarke Mini 13" bench top lathe. I have also bought a Viper 2 chuck and a couple of sets of jaws for it, and I have to say I'm very pleased with it :) It does exactly as I ask, which is turning simple items of up to 12" in length. But I'm finding my set of mini chisels are more suited to the Proxxon Micro....I could do with some bigger and better tools....
My missus has offered to buy me a set for Christmas........not wishing to frighten her off with the prices for Robert Sorby gear and with a budget of £100 or less (preferably) I'm now searching online for a half decent set....I'm more into spindle type turning than bowls, although no doubt I'll be having a go at one soon enough. I also don't want tools with handles as long as broom sticks if possible....
There are so many online that I'm now totally confused by what's on offer, I would prefer a smaller better quality set rather than a full set of lesser quality if you know what I mean....could anybody recommend a small set that will do me? Maybe the Axminster set? I don't know.....
Thanks in advance
Nige

Hi

As Dalboy above has indicated, the Sorby 'starter set' is almost within your budget and when you consider it would cost over £200 to buy the tools individually I feel it represents the best value currently available. They were the first turning tools I bought over 15 years ago, they are still my most used ones out of the 50+ I now own and to be honest, I could achieve 95% of the things I make with just those six tools.

A hearty recommendation for the Sorby set :D :D

There are two opinions expressed regularly on here, whether it is better to start with a set or individual tools - my advice would be to 'do the maths', sets can be sourced for a fraction of the costs of the individual tools - you may be mainly interested in spindle work at the moment, (I'm predominantly a spindle turner), but there are plenty of instances where bowl work is used in conjunction with spindle work to produce items - think bases for candlesticks and lamps etc. You will also, at some point in the future, want to expand your capabilities into bowl work.

Regards Mick

I suspect the sets marketed today are a more useable selection than they were in the past - it used to be that one or sometimes two of the tools were ones that most people would not normally use, so any saving was offset by this. They tend to be better value now.

I'm a great fan of the Ashley isles tools. I've never considered them expensive, especially if you buy them at a woodworking show - North show Harrogate 21-23 nov - where you will get hefty discounts and all your Christmas wish list sorted! Buying them unhandled as well as Philip suggests, makes them cheaper and more personal.

I`ve had my Axminster starter set for 10yrs now and still happy with them,though the bowl gauge and spindle gauge are getting quite short now,may have to replace them one day soon,cheers,

Eric.

I agree that a set is the right thing to do purely on cost grounds. In terms of which brand? You state that you're not wild about lengthy handles so I would use the handle length as your deciding criteria. All the brands will be HSS which is a must so there isn't really a massive difference. I'm sure the more expensive brands will have "better" steel than some of the cheaper ones but frankly, for a non professional it doesn't make a jot of difference. I've got a real range in my kit bag, from Axy own brand to both RS and Ashley Isles and its the grind, handle and of course tool dimensions that determine which I use for any given task. Any differences in quality of steel hardness etc are overblown by marketing folks for the purposes of amateur use.

In fact, once you get deeper into the craft you might opt for what a great many turners do which is to either buy and grind their own steel and fashion the handles to suit their taste. Or at least just buy 2nd hand (pre-ground) steel from discounted shows and make your own handle. Handle making is simple, fun and empowering and a great project to be on the list for the early stuff.

Back