Football - where is it going?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneggysteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I am not a big football supporter but take an interest in results and sometimes watch the Saturday highlights.

Two things this weekend have amazed me - Man Utd v West Ham

- Wayne Rooney is sent off for a reckless professional foul. The usual "expert" pundits say that it wasn't such a bad foul and perhaps a red card is too much. Had Rooney been less reckless he would have had just a yellow and everything is ok. What example does this give to kids - it's ok to foul as long as it's not reckless? How are the poor weekend local refs supposed to handle these situations?

- the linesman is crucified by a West Ham player and manager for getting the offside decision right!!! They say he must have guessed because it would have been impossible to have seen the offside. HE WAS CORRECT IN HIS DECISION.

Where is football going?

sneggysteve":2cb0ybxp said:
Where is football going?

Up it's own fundament. It is so far along it's journey that it can pretty much see the back of it's own teeth.

I choose not to pay for any of it. Those that do are welcome to their enjoyment of it, though in 'bang for your buck' terms, I'm inclined to the view that a few high-quality tools and the patience to learn to use them is a much better deal.

Still - each to their own....

I used to like watching the odd game, but now I would rather watch paint dry. To watch someone who is paid in telephone numbers do what he is, so called, paid to do and then all the cuddles and adoration for just doing his job gets up my nose at 1,000,000 miles an hour. As for the fouls, they will foul as much as they can if they think they can get away with it. I agree about the example set for the yungsters. Who are they going to follow, their heros that's who and the sooner those 'heros' are slapped down the better for all!

Not that I don't like football you understand :roll: :roll:

Racers":2afu8gq1 said:
bugbear":2afu8gq1 said:
Who cares?

BugBear

+1

Pete

I wouldn't either if all the money that went into football came directly from football fans paying for their tickets.

But even if you don't watch football, you're probably paying for it; by buying from a company that sponsors football. And also TV companies pay huge amounts to football, and that money comes from consumers who pay for TV adverts or from the TV Licence fee.

OK it's a little bit of money from a very large number of people, but it's going to a handful of people so they end up very rich.

Couldn't agree more with all the posts above.

I love the game, and Arsenal especially. But I won't part with a penny to support them.

AND... I won't be watching them against Galatasaray tomorrow night. (I'll record it, and watch it if they win :lol: )

I love it, game has come on leaps and bounds.
Skys coverage is fantastic compared to MOTD.
As for wages, why are people moaning, if you don't go to football or have sky you are not paying a penny towards it.
I have to contribute to MP's wages who get there Knob out on the internet for a pretty girl whether I like it or not.

doctor Bob":35b72ins said:
As for wages, why are people moaning, if you don't go to football or have sky you are not paying a penny towards it.

No one would be bothered if their wages came only and directly from paying fans.

But even if you don't watch football, you're probably paying for it; by buying from a company that sponsors football. And also TV companies pay huge amounts to football, and that money comes from consumers who pay for TV adverts or from the TV Licence fee.

OK it's a little bit of money from a very large number of people, but it's going to a handful of people so they end up very rich.

Right I have just looked at the top earning 50 athletes.
So no football, no golf, no basketball, no F1, no nasacr, no tennis, No baseball, no NFL, no altletics and no cricket and every bodies happy.

Although you would be allowed to watch mediocrity and be very happy, say me doing the hundred meters in 15 seconds free of charge.

To Mars with the first settlers with any luck. I have never had an interest in it and just can't see why people get so passionate about it? :roll:

doctor Bob":1b46fe0j said:
Although you would be allowed to watch mediocrity and be very happy, say me doing the hundred meters in 15 seconds free of charge.

Free of charge? That does sound like something I'd pay to see. I haven't had a good laugh in ages.

The only difference that I can see is that the money is a lot more (only for the top players) and the game is much cleaner and less violent (both Crowd and Players). The grounds are much safer, cleaner and more civilised. You only have to go back to the 60's and '70's to see some pretty horrendous tackles and football related violence. 'Chopper' and 'bite your legs' were nicknames that were dished out and for very good reason. Rooneys tackle was poor but pales into insignificance in contrast to the 'good 'ol days'!
Anyway, football is a gentleman's game compared to some of the nasty illegal stuff that happens in Rugby.

doctor Bob":sf7jjnwf said:
Right I have just looked at the top earning 50 athletes.
So no football, no golf, no basketball, no F1, no nasacr, no tennis, No baseball, no NFL, no altletics and no cricket and every bodies happy.

OK...I grant you F1 would be a loss.

I don't really care any more; but I used to. Football was my passion when I was younger. But it has gone the way I thought it would when I realised the money aspect was becoming more and more important. So I just retain a passing interest in my team, and watch them on MOTD when they win! I usually have to wait until the end of the program though, because my team is Aston Villa. Occasionally they play Liverpool and beat them, so I get to see them early, and then drift off to 'Bedfordshire'!

Back