The First Bandsaw Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen some fantastic looking bandsaw boxes searching the web, but I opted for The Chicago Bandsaw Box from The Drunken Wood Worker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyMbdujGqm0
If all went well it was going to be a little prezzie for our lass, and although it isn't quite finished she absolutely loves it, and I'm now dead good and dead clever :D

I haven't photographed every stage but hopefully you'll get the idea. As this was the first proper job on the bandsaw I didn't want to practice on an expensive piece of wood, and I had a five foot length of 6" x 1" pine left from the BIG drawer I made for the work bench. After cutting to size and gluing up, and remembering to alternate the grain, I trimmed the base off.

After sticking the template on I first cut around the outside and then cut what would be the drawer.

After changing the blade I then cut the front and back of the drawer sides.

Changing blades again I was ready to cut the inner part of the drawer. But first I had to mark where the lowest part of the drawer opening would be. Hope that makes sense, but you'll see the pencil line in the next image and where the cut was made about a centimeter above that line.

I'll take another shot tomorrow, I just want to do a little more sanding. I gave it our lass unfinished as I thought she might like to hand paint it, and I also left out the little dowel drawer knobs The Drunken Wood Worker makes as I thought we could look on line for some little fancy ones. But as our lass loves it as it is she'd just like me to oil or wax finish it. She has also put an order in for a few more to be made as presents! :shock:

Pete,

Looking good, glad the lass likes it. I would bet the smiles, of others, will make a few more quite bearable. It will certainly raise the cool Dad factor. Jamey

Thanks Jamey. I need to make one for the daughter who's just gone off to Uni, but our lass says I have to design it in the shape of a bunny rabbit :D So after one box, I'm now a designer. Still, I reckon it'll be fun, and if I pull it off no doubt it'll be worth a few brownie points.

Looks great Pete! what size blade did you use for cutting the fiddly bit out 1/4"? I ordered a new bandsaw on sunday and can't wait to start butchering some wood (made a few on my old 3 wheel saw and scroll saw but too much messing about gluing bits together instead of cutting some thick wood)
Cheers
Brian

Claymore":39o1pl6i said:
Looks great Pete! what size blade did you use for cutting the fiddly bit out 1/4"? I ordered a new bandsaw on sunday and can't wait to start butchering some wood (made a few on my old 3 wheel saw and scroll saw but too much messing about gluing bits together instead of cutting some thick wood)
Cheers
Brian

Hello Brian :) Thanks for the comment, much appreciated. I did use a 1/4" blade with 10tpi. I called Ian at Tuffsaws, very helpful chap and after a few minutes chatting he recommended the 1/4" and a 3/4" fastcut. Although I only have the 3/8" that came with the bandsaw to compare, the 3/4" fastcut went through 6" of pine as though it wasn't there. Took me by surprise it did. The finish is quite rough, but I have a lot to learn
so pass rate may or may not have an effect! I made a small box from the waste cut from the drawer, more of a test than anything else, and I made the initial cut in the wrong place. Will take a couple of images later and you'll where I went wrong.

Hey Pete, what a great looking box! Really like it.

Planning to make a couple myself for Christmas presents.

Cheers
Mark

Back